Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zylstra Posts: 83, Reputation: 11

Jul 31, 2014, 05:39 PM
    How do I move my device (phone) contacts to Google (Gmail) contacts on my Galaxy S5?
    How do I move my device (aka phone) contacts to Google (aka Gmail) contacts on my Samsung Galaxy S5 Android phone?
    zylstra Posts: 83, Reputation: 11

Jul 31, 2014, 06:04 PM
    I found out how to do it! Here's how:

Warning: Please back up all your contacts before attempting this!

Send Device contacts to yourself:
    Go to Contacts
    Menu -> Settings -> Contacts -> Contacts to display -> Device
    Menu -> Select -> Select all (check box at top of contacts)
    Menu -> Share name card
    Messaging
    Enter yourself as a recipient of this message and Send

Delete your Device contacts:
    Go to Contacts (only your Device contacts should be displayed)
    Menu -> Select -> Select all (check box at top of contacts) -> Delete (trash can icon at top)
    You won't be able to delete yourself, but that's fine.

Save contacts to Google:
    Go to Messaging -> Click the message you just sent to yourself
    Click the Contacts.vcf icon in your received (or sent) message
    Save ->

Drum roll please...

Google!

View all your contacts:
    Menu -> Settings -> Contacts -> Contacts to display -> All contacts
    Renatm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2014, 05:50 PM
    I figured out how to make my device contacts now Google contacts. I only had 32 contacts that were saved to my phone instead of to Google, so I think it depends on the number you are dealing with. It took me 5-10 minutes, but not as tedious as deleting and reentering them under Google instead of the phone default.

I don't want to bother typing each step if it is not an issue anymore.
    shari77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2015, 08:15 AM
    I found out how to do this, it was pretty easy on my S5 version 4.4.4 (im not upgrading to lollipop 5 until they work out the bugs)

Since I did the same thing, entered my contacts to "Device" not realizing that it cannot be backed up on Google later, this is what I did:

Tap-contacts, then tap menu (3 dots under the word contacts top right), then tap settings, then tap Contacts,
    Then tap import/export, then tap (I know this is counter-intuitive but this is not a typo) tap Export To Device Storage,
    Then tap OK to confirm.
    Then you should be back at the Settings, tap Import/Export again, this time tap Import FROM Device, then tap Google

You are done.

To Sync with Google, make sure your phone is linked or signed into Google or Google+

To Sync right now to make sure it is working, on the S5, go back to Home, Swipe down from the top to bring down the settings, and look for the Sync button. Swipe the buttons to the left if you don't see it. (You may need to add it, do that by clicking on the top right icon with 3 squares, go to the bottom, and drag the Sync button to the active menu)
    Anyway, once you click on the Sync button, log onto your Google account on your computer, go to your contact list, and there they are!

Bonus is you can add a ton of contacts by using your computer, which to me, is way faster than adding using my phone, then you can sync and they will appear on your phone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I map outlook contacts to verizon email contacts? Some imported correctly. [ 0 Answers ]

I've exported my Outlook contacts to a .csv file and imported it into the Verizon email contacts. Some map correctly, and others don't. I haven't been able to figure out any rhyme or reason. I've opened up the file and moved a couple items that seemed misplaced, and shortened some items. Any...

How to import contacts from my Outlook 2007 contacts to BT Yahoo contacts? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm hoping that if I can import my list of Outlook contacts into BT Yahoo webmail it might stopping blocking emails from known friends. There appear to be no instructions for importing Outlook 2007 contacts into BT Yahoo/Talk21. I am following the instructions for earlier versions of Outlook, have...

Problems with gmail and contacts [ 1 Answers ]

I was attempting to update and edit a contact. I had typed in a long list of updates on a contact in the edit mode and it would not accept the updates giving an error code that the email address already existed. I could not get beyond this error message; therefore, I just deleted the entire...

View more questions Search