Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lionfoxx Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2005, 06:44 AM
    Lights Twinkle, and flicker at times.
    I noticed some times my lights have a slight twinkle and flicker at times, I think this normally happens when my well pump kicks off and on. My pump is wired on its own shut off with fuses which I think my Dad said it's a 240 Volt 3 wire pump, the fuses for that are the glass kind, which are in their own shut off main, and is wired back to my 100amp circuit panel.

What would cause the twinkle, pulse or flicker of the lights? Bad ground somewhere, etc. I just had the issue with the loose neutral on a ceiling fan, so I am dumbfounded on were to start looking for this other problem. I have been trying to pay attention on the pump to see if it happens at other times.

I also noticed the lights dim down when I plug in my shop vac? What is the possible reason this happens. The house was built in 72, I have all 12 gauge wire to plugs, 14 to light switches, and 20 amp breakers, except for AC and stove, and dryer which are 30 amp. I do have 15 amp plugs, which I been asking opinions on as well here, I guess the consensus is for code to change the plugs to 20amp, but most people say I won't pull that much from bed rooms etc.

Any way this is all tied in together somehow? Home ownership is more fun everyday!! Arg...

Thanks, LFX>
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2005, 08:36 AM
    You may have to live with a momentary dimming of the lights when a large load, on a separate circuit, kicks in. The fix might involve the electricity company running heavier service entrance cable, or adding another transformer, good luck. Adding a circuit should be the solution to the shop vac dimming the lights. Use again # 12, 20 amp breaker, and 20 amp receptacles. If you have 20 amp breakers on #14 light circuits, you might buy 15 amp breakers trading them for the 20 amp ones if you add circuits.

Tracking down loose connections is a pain. Start with pulling the cover off your breaker box. Be very careful, there is plenty of amperage to kill you. Wiggle the circuit breakers around making sure they are seated well. Keep your fingers away from the bus bars. Then using an insulated screwdriver, check the screws that hold the wires to the breakers and the neutrals to their buss. Does the box or breakers say what type they are where you can read it? If not, shut one breaker off, and pull it out. Mine say GE type TQP on the side of them them. Write it down, maybe with a marker on the door to the box. You will need that if you add circuits. Put everything back. From there, it is checking each fixture and outlet and any other junctions for bad connections.

Some time in the late 90's I discovered my flickering lights were due to the GE bulbs I was using. The cheap Bright Time ones from Aldi's didn't flicker, but the leading brand did. So much for you get what you pay for.

The upside to home ownership, is that when you get to plumbing, we have a very good expert, Speedball here.
    lionfoxx Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2005, 09:34 AM
    Thanks,
    I think we have the same type of breakers, GE brand, little thin ones. I thought about bumping up to a 200amp service box eventually, not sure of the cost. I asked the electric company about it when I had the service turned on and they said the line to the home is rated to 200AMP, all I have to do is get the local inspection check, and then get someone to change the box and then they come out and test the line and rerate it for the 200 Amp service. She said there would be no need to change the line to the house.

Not sure on cost of doing it, or if they Electric company charges for that, my buddy said if I had to have a new line ran I would have to pay for that, but looks like I won't hopefully.

With the current 20AMP circuits, and 12 wire, I am weighing on changing all my plugs to the 20amp ones, it would be costly compared to the 15 amp ones but It would give me some peace of mind. I have gotten mixed reviews on what to do on that. Some say I will be OK, others say change to to be up to code, especially if I have a inspector comein to check for the upgraded service, he said they will notice that and make me do it. Other option is to change the breakers if I am going to a new box to 15 amp, but I would rather have the 20 amp ones.

Thanks, LFX>
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2005, 03:49 PM
    Flickering lights is a symptom of what can be a serious problem, don't mean to scare you, but it is true.

The overhead line is probably of sufficient size,but you can report your problem to the utility and they will/must come out to check connections on their end.

There are also connections in your meter that you can not access, the utility must do that also.

In the panel there are many connections you will not find. Any one of these connections can cause your problem.

Anyone of many connections can be extremely hot and ready to cause extreme damage. Believe me, I make a decent career repairing problems like this.

Spend $75.00-100.00 to hire a service electrician to check your system. And offer an estimate for repairs. A small investment for insuring your home remains your home.

Save your money, do not change your outlets unless you want to have new, clean , or different colored devices and plates. A 15 amp device is perfectly fine and per code, and perferred. A 15 amp device limits an otherwise 20 rated circuit to 15 amps. A true 20 plug is different and cannot be used in a 15 amp outlet. Unless you use those multiple plugstrips and got 5 electric heaters running on it, hopefully not.

Ask for an appeal if an inspector requires you to replace the devices.

Now if you have a circuit that needs a full 20 amps circuit to operate properly, then change that outlet/outlets.

Wait until you get an estimate for the repair of the lights flickering. If you can then afford to replace all the outlets, be my guest...

But think, if you replace them all yourself inproperly , 30 outlets with each min 3 connections equals 90 possible loose, potentially dangerous , connections.

Ask for an estimate on that also, still will be good investment, and good for sleeping too.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

Light Flicker [ 11 Answers ]

I had a plug in the garage that was not working. I found the problem to be in the control panel and got the plug working by jiggling and finally pressing on the circuit breaker. Since then, I have noticed the other lights in the house will flicker. We used to get a little flicker on and off...

Light Flicker [ 1 Answers ]

I have a relatively new 100 amp service panel with breakers installed by an electrician in my 1950s Bungalow. I replaced most of the wiring throughout the house - most of which was ungrounded. I also replaced most of the switches and outlets. I installed some new recessed lighting. I get a...

Light flicker problem [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new Hampton Bay flurorescent light (193871) that flicker (strobes) after it is turned off. It will strobe all night. I returned it one time, the new one does the same thing. What should I do :confused: ? Tedndd

Screen flicker problem! [ 2 Answers ]

I am having some trouble with my laptop (Dell Inspiron 8100/WinXP Home), namely a really irritating flicker on the screen. The best way to describe it is that it looks like bands of buzzing pixels covering the entire screen. So if my menu bar is dark purple, I see flashes of pink. After a few...

View more questions Search