Uber Member

Jul 30, 2014, 06:51 AM
    Wall Street Analysts Predict The Slow Demise Of Walmart And Target
    Wall Street Analysts Predict The Slow Demise Of Walmart And Target

This is good, right?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2014, 09:12 AM
    They are losing share to competition? Of course it's a good thing. That's the way the market is supposed to work.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2014, 09:16 AM
    Maybe the ma and pa stores will make a comeback.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2014, 09:31 AM
    doubt it ;although it's possible they will fill a niche . The article has it right in that the big box store has a problem competing with on line sales. But not to worry ;Big Government to the rescue of the big box store.
    Senate votes to establish federal online sales tax - San Jose Mercury News
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2014, 09:39 AM
    That's been batted around for at least a decade now, it's nothing new. In fact your article is from May 2013.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2014, 09:42 AM
    It always boils down to some political thief trying to take what's left of your paycheck.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2014, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    That's been batted around for at least a decade now, it's nothing new. In fact your article is from May 2013.
    and ? I find it interesting that the Dems ,who demonize Walmart would pass legislation that covers their back .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 30, 2014, 01:02 PM
    Walmart makes enough money from cheap labor and corporate welfare to not feel sorry for them.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2014, 01:26 PM
    and yet the Dem Senate went out of their way to vote Walmart more government cheese.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 30, 2014, 02:40 PM
    Walmart and Target both sell online. The last time I went to a Walmart I vowed I'd never go back, but I have since bought from them online.
    Sure, more B&M stores will go away. Nothing new there.
    Amazon will continue to sell and ship practically at cost, and continue to grow. Bezos doesn't stop anticipating new ways to please customers, like warehouses closer to you with software that knows what you tend to buy, so you can get it in one day.

Until some other social/business change happens.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2014, 03:59 PM
    Good post joy, I agree.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2014, 04:04 PM
    I've been to both Target and Walmart. I really don't like Target. Walmart I may go to once a month. As to the people whinning about the pay... I haven't seen a single one with ankle chains keeping them from leaving yet.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2014, 05:51 PM
    You know I can't believe we are so shallow as to discuss this irrelevance when there are issues in Irag, Gaza, Ukraine of far greater import. Have we reached the level of indifference and have just shut off. How about the big holes in Siberia, are they of greater significance as is suggested? Is it all too much to take in? Information overload?
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2014, 06:16 PM
    Gaza is getting everything they have coming to them... Iraq? That's what happen when you announce when you are leaving long in advance and leaving before the jobs done, Ukraine... Putin and Russia need to keep their noses out of what's going on... Does that sum it up?
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2014, 06:49 PM
    Actually smoothy that's exactly what I'm talking about, we have reached the level of indifference, we have seen the headline formed an opinion and turned to less important pursuits.

For example, we heard of what was going on in Iraq, some very bad stuff and within a week it had faded from the news cycle as we watched Hamas get theirs, and quitely applauded that someone was taking on some muslim militants somewhere, but whatever happens in Gaza it has no impact on Iraq, Syria and ISIS. The world has become a little upset with what civilians are enduring in Gaza without taking any notice of what civilians are enduring in Iraq and you cannot blame that situation on US withdrawal a few years ago, you have to blame the Iraqi shiites and their pecular world view. Smoothy, Iraq was never going to get it together as an inclusive society, the US destabalised the country, the region for that matter, but in reality that is an excuse for the intolerances and inequalities that had existed in that part of the world for a long time, probably since WWI, when other powers destabilised the region

Of course all of this pails into insignificance against the prospect that some home grown marketteer might have got the business model a little wrong in the post GFC apocalypse
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2014, 02:38 AM
    the world goes "ape " when the Israelis defend themselves ;but is completely mute about the hundreds of deaths daily in Syria ; or the ethnic cleasing of Christians in Mosul.
    But if you are not concerned about the domestic market then maybe your priorities need an evaluation.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2014, 04:21 AM
    Clete,

No, I don't care what happens in Gaza nor do I care about petty politics in a US state. Why should I?

This board is called Current Events, not world politics, so feel free to post anything you like.

Personally I'm more interested in acting locally to help change instead of jawing about stuff ad nauseum on one of millions internet discussion boards.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2014, 04:00 PM
    But if you are not concerned about the domestic market then maybe your priorities need an evaluation.
    Am I concerned about the domestic market in the US, no, it is showing excellent recovery, so any short falls in retail will be short lived. Am I concerned about the domestic market where I live, yes, far too many empty shops in the Malls and streets, it is very hard for the small business here, but huge box stores have no difficulty expanding

Karma, that's not jawing but carping, but why can't a few internet acqaintances discuss matters of interest, if you don't want to participate then by all means take action by going and spending your money. In other words put your money where your mouth is!
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2014, 04:56 PM
    , no, it is showing excellent recovery
    only in the liberal Pretorian press
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2014, 07:03 PM
    Tom I've seen the statistics, you had an excellent bounce last quarter and growth over the year is spectacular for a developed nation, overall your year by year growth statistics are not bad I would like to see our economy growing that quickly. I don't doubt that just like all over the world there are depressed areas and those usually remain for a long time, they are not indicative of the overall economy, but local structural issues. The solution is, of course, migration and reduction of populations as well as investment by those "job creators" who like to create jobs in China such as Walmart

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Sheriff of Wall Street is back [ 39 Answers ]

Hello: You guys got your Mark Sanford's and your Senator Vitter's.. But, WE got guys like Anthony Wiener and Elliot Spitzer.. Wiener is a fool, but Spitzer is to be taken seriously. Does anybody want to see a picture of my package?? excon

Who painted this? From the movie Wall Street [ 0 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Im trying to find out who painted this piece seen in the movie Wall Street. It is 5 faces/skulls, and I have looked far and wide trying to find the artist behind it. http://www.anthonywhite.net/wall_s7.jpg

Wall Street in 1829 [ 2 Answers ]

Framed Wall Street in 1829. On bottom right are sLz engraved in aquatint and on right bottom copyright Sidney Z Lucas trying to find value and if authentic

Refer to Target Corporation's financial statements (http://investors.target.com/phoen [ 1 Answers ]

(millions, except per share data) 2008 2007 2006 Sales $ 62,884 $ 61,471 $ 57,878 Credit card revenues 2,064 1,896 1,612

View more questions Search