Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dayal112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2014, 04:05 AM
    LAN cabling and Internet
    When we use LAN wire of length about 200m for internet connection.is there a loss in internet signal occurs?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 30, 2014, 04:42 AM
    Maybe. The standards that govern LAN cabling specify that the connecting cable plus patch cords that make up a channel must be no longer than 100 meters. Using cable that is 200m in length will mean that the signal degrades due to increased attenuation and crosstalk between the pairs inside the cable, which may cause loss of Ethernet connectivity. However, there is so much redundancy in Ethernet data packets that it's possible that the system will work, though I would expect severely degraded performance.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2014, 05:05 AM
    YOU need to at least one repeater in that path... it can effectively be a low cost hub, but as ebaines correctly states... if it works at all its going to work like crap due to a number of reasons, latency, corrupted packets, retransmissions and packet collisions. Many reults of crosstalk and attenuation.

And even with one repeater... you are still going to have to have vey high grade cabling to push it even 100 feet reliably. Expect more problems with Cat5 cable than if you run Cat6e cable.

Ethernet cabling limitations are 100m maximum (328 feet).
    reymondlymentz Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 17, 2014, 10:53 AM
    Either you need to use a single mode fiber cable or have a repeater/hub/switch in the middle, as cat5, 53 and 6 all standards have a limitation of 100m. I wouldn't do it any other way than a fiber connection.
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Sep 28, 2014, 10:57 PM
    I second the fiber connection as the correct answer. Copper cabling should not be anywhere near 200m for a reliable connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Share LAN over Internet [ 4 Answers ]

I want to share my LAN network with the internet. I want to be able to connect to the LAN through the internet. How can I do that.

Networking/lan line internet [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a laptop and I can only get the internet at my dads house but when I come back home it won't work. Ive tried everything. I plugged it to the wall, I tried dial up, I plugged it to a internet box. Nothings working. I don't have wireless so I need to figure out how to get internet on a lan...

LAN Cabling Procedure [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know the CABLING procedure to connect a Computer/Computer's via LAN cable end-to-end to a SWITCH or HUB

Lan To Lan Internet Sharing Help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Tnx for reading.. hope you can help me.. here is my question with all the information I can think.. I have 2 computers I'm using windows XP SP2 I don't have any router or switch My 1st computer have an internet connection with 2 lancards My 2nd computer have no internet connection with...

LAN to LAN via Internet... [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, First hope that I'm not causing heaache for you... If not please continue... I'm building up another Domain(no forests and no trees), that domain will be in another location. So I'll have two local area networks, where each of them is in a totally different and distant...

View more questions Search