Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2014, 06:35 PM
    Unauthorized recording of cell phone call.
    I recently visited my daughter in NC and upon arrival I called my wife to notify her that I was there. I made the call on my cell phone which is an old Nokia flip phone, definitely not a smart phone! I was outside my daughters home over 300 feet away when I made the call. A little later my daughter informed me that my call had been recorded on her XP computer. She said it had been recorded 5 times and was located in her My Documents folder. She said they were saved within the VLC Media as mp3's & played just fine. Can somebody tell me how that can possibly happen?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 27, 2014, 06:46 PM
    Have her play it back to you. My techie husband doesn't think it's possible.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 27, 2014, 07:16 PM
    I doubt it too even if you had Bluetooth
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2014, 07:21 PM
    I also seriously doubt it... digital cell phone calls can't simply be recorded by the average person (and incidentally... its the same for smart phones and not so smart pones, they a work the same on the voice calls)... they have to have the data-stream captured and unencrypted. It was easy to do 25 years ago with they were all analog but today they are al digital.

The Government can do it... not your daughter.

Jul 27, 2014, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Have her play it back to you. My techie husband doesn't think it's possible.
    Thanks for your reply. I think I will have to question my daughter a bit more!

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I also seriously doubt it... digital cell phone calls can't simply be recorded by the average person (and incidentally... its the same for smart phones and not so smart pones, they a work the same on the voice calls)... they have to have the datastream captured and unencrypted. It was easy to do 25 years ago with they were all analog but today they are al digital.

Thanks for your response, I'll have to question my daughter a bit more.
    \

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I also seriously doubt it... digital cell phone calls can't simply be recorded by the average person (and incidentally... its the same for smart phones and not so smart pones, they a work the same on the voice calls)... they have to have the datastream captured and unencrypted. It was easy to do 25 years ago with they were all analog but today they are al digital.

Thanks for your reply. I think maybe my cell phone might still be an analog, as it is over 15 years old, if they would make a difference.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2014, 03:23 AM
    If its actually an ancient analog phone... you would have to have a receiver capable of tuning the 800 mhz band to intercept the call before it could be recorded. Something that would be uncommon as commercial products available to the public had that band legally blocked over 20 years ago (for that reason). At least those available in the USA. Today it's a moot issue with all newer phones being digital.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2014, 04:26 AM
    I'm curious as to why you didn't ask to see these alleged recordings in the first place.

But I seriously doubt this happened. It might have happened if you were using WiFi and something like Skype to make the call, but not if you used a cellular network (which is all digital now, so your phone is digital).

Jul 28, 2014, 07:04 AM
    Thanks for your input. She said she had already deleted them before she told me. I think next tiime I will have her leave them on the computer so I can see them.

Jul 28, 2014, 09:39 AM
    Uh uh, sure she did.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2014, 09:55 AM
    Just for clarity on what I've said so far... I used to listen in to cell phone calls back in the latter 80's... and it was a lot of fun (beat anything in the reality shows today). I used equipment my employer had on the shelves... and I had some of my own ( I still have it), but that all ended at a hobby level when they moved to digital phones. Basically back in the analog days... if it was broadcast I could intercept it. Any frequency or modulation mode. And I could do it from my house.

It all collects dust these days... all the good stuff I used to listen to has gone digital and has at least basic encryption... and its not worth the time to mess with. And I have better things to do in my spare time now.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 28, 2014, 10:35 AM
    I used to listen to my sister on the cordless phone. I had a radio that could tune in to the frequency and I would spy on her....lol. But yeah, a digital cell phone is so much different now.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 28, 2014, 02:29 PM
    Well, I do have to ask why the daughter was trying to track her dads telephone calls. I mean, it is not normal unless she has a reason to think that her dad was not calling her mother. But, yes, this is not possible, and she was probably warning her dad that she knows what he is doing. I don't know, this whole thread is screwey.

Of course she deleted the 'evidence', there was no evidence

Jul 29, 2014, 08:51 AM
    To clarify things a bit, the phone I used is a Nokia 6061, which I assume is a digital phone. And there is no Skype or wifi involved in the call. I don't think my daughter was trying to track my telephone calls. She said that the calls just appeared in her My Documents folder and she ran across them by accident, she didn't intentionally record them. The computer apparently did it by itself. I just don't understand how this is possible.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2014, 08:54 AM
    Thats because it isn't possible. I've been a computer geek since 1980 yes, before the first IBM PC came out... I know far more than most people about electronic survielance... and a computer simply can't do that. I've worked with Mainframe computer, min-computers and micro computers (what the average person has)
    Not unless your daughter is signed up for YOUR account with your cell phone carrier somehow and they happen to have records of the calls sent and recieved....but none of them actually record the calls. And they would only display the numbers called and recieved online...and most don't even do that without a Search warrant..

I can find what numbers were called from my home phone and recieved because its part of my service.

But it NEVER would show up in anyones "My Documents" folder.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2014, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rr man View Post
    I just don't understand how this is possible.
    Ask her to please save the "documents" if it happens again and let you see (hear?) the files.

Jul 29, 2014, 09:43 AM
    There are two possible ways that might have happened. One way is if she had installed and was running a program on her PC that monitored cellular transmissions in the area. To be able to do that she would need to have a mobile broadband card in her PC that could connect to the cellular network. This is NOT standard stuff and if she didn't install such hardware and software, then someone did. The other possibility is there is software on your phone that somehow transmitted sometime to her PC. Again, since its not a smartphone this is highly unlikely.

This is why we are all very skeptical that this actually occurred. I don't know what she saw, but I suspect she misunderstood it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a person hear to cell phone recording in case of excess bill [ 2 Answers ]

I made many std calls from my mothers cellphone,I was talking to my boyfrind .somebody told my mother that she can listen to the recording of calls made by me. I beg you tell me exactly is it possible to hear to the calls made by me for her.

Can a person hear to cell phone recording in case of excess bill [ 4 Answers ]

I made many std calls and then I got excess bill but it belonged to my father.somebody told my father that he can hear the recording of the calls made by me .I am afraid because I was talking to my boyfrind tell me can my father hear those calls.

How a cell phone call is transmitted ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hiii, I would like to know how is a cell phone call transmitted from the caller cell phone to the destination with all the steps which the signal passes through and whether the placed call was local one or international call ? ( I have that for a project work in my school could I get some help...

Call forwarding to cell phone [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was able to use *72 and then my cell phone number to forward calls from the land line to my cell, but now that I wish to turn it off I don't know how. Help please? Thank you

Recording a cell phone call [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a device that attaches to a cell phone where you can record phone calls?

View more questions Search