Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 27, 2014, 05:30 PM
    Kidney infection
    Okay, before you even answer, I know I need to see a doctor. First thing in the morning, I'm there. I'm not, however, going to go spend hours and an exorbitant amount of money to have them tell me I have a kidney infection (I'm 99% sure, based on symptoms) and then have to pay even more to buy the antibiotics at the ER because they don't want to send them out to a pharmacy in the middle of the night (can you tell I'e had a bad experience with the local ER?)

With that said, I am in a LOT of pain. It's not L&D levels, or kidney stone levels, but it is pretty owie.

What can I take, OTC, to just get me through to morning that won't actually make things worse long run?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 27, 2014, 05:44 PM
    Can you take aspirin? It's actually a better pain reliever than Tylenol, and the coated pills don't cause much heartburn. Washing it down with cranberry or kiwi juice will help flush the kidneys, too.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 27, 2014, 05:46 PM
    Lots and lots of water. Avoid caffeine at all costs. Alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours. You can take 800 mg of Motrin at a time.
    Expert

Jul 27, 2014, 05:58 PM
    I don't think I have any Motrin, but can send the hubby out for it. I've been drinking water, but also coffee (I've dumped my cup out, J, don't yell at me!).

Thank you. I'll be at Urgent Care when they open at 7 tomorrow. I just need to get through tonight.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2014, 07:16 PM
    Not advice to offer, but lots of sympathy... Hopefully you get over it fast.
    Expert

Jul 27, 2014, 07:52 PM
    Thanks Smoothy. Me too! My wedding anniversary is tomorrow---I don't think it's going to be very romantic.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 27, 2014, 09:13 PM
    Have you heard of AZO? I've used it before. It's a homeopathic remedy (temporary) for kidney infections. They sell it at the grocery store on the "ladies" aisle.
    Expert

Jul 28, 2014, 08:47 AM
    So it's not a kidney infection--placement is wrong, and my white cells aren't up and there's no bacteria in my urine (I think that's how the doc phrased it). Some blood draws, some x-rays, and some poking and prodding later, she thinks it may be my gallbladder. She sent me home with anti-b's (because while white counts aren't up, there are more of the kinds that fight infection in my blood) and painkillers, and I have an ultrasound tomorrow at the hospital.

Even though I've been drinking water like mad, my urine was really concentrated, which concerned the doctor.

She's also waiting on some cultures and some blood stuff and they'll get back to me if they find anything.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.
    Expert

Jul 28, 2014, 09:20 AM
    What are your symptoms?
    Expert

Jul 28, 2014, 04:37 PM
    Pain in my side, kind of right under my ribcage. I mean, not UNDER my ribcage, but between my ribcage and my pelvic bone, high on the right side. Random nausea. Random fever--I almost wish that were more constant, as my temp at the doc's this morning was 97.1. Body aches all over. Headache and tired eyes. There is NO pain when urinating. I'm not even uncomfortable. Also, my pelvic area is pain free.

I'm very tired. I could probably sleep for about 20 hours straight right now.

Mostly it's the pain in my side--it waxes and wanes, but deep breaths, sneezes and coughs aggravate the heck out of it. If I try to do anything energetic, I end up VERY out of breath (nothing in my lungs that she could hear).

I can't think of anything else right now--I'm going out to dinner while I'm having a good spell :)
    Expert

Jul 28, 2014, 06:58 PM
    Yup, sounds more like gallbladder than kidney. Kidney has more back pain.

Get some rest, don't eat spicy foods, no caffeine. Hope you feel better soon Sis. Love you!
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jul 29, 2014, 06:30 AM
    That is kind of sounding like what my wife had before they removed her gallbladder. Good luck! Hopefully you won't need surgery.
    Expert

Jul 29, 2014, 08:52 AM
    Just got the results of the ultrasound: Completely normal gall bladder and kidney.

TBH, the pain in that area is pretty much gone today. Now I just have incredible nausea and am so tired.

I'm probably just sick with some virus at this point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Kidney Infection turn into kidney failure answer needed asap [ 2 Answers ]

If you don't take your antiboitcs for a uti and kidney infection can it turn into kidney failure and how fast? Is it normal for people to feel like the infection is gone and no more symptoms without taking antibotics?

Kidney infection [ 2 Answers ]

I had a kidney infection in feb 2012 every since then I've had a niggling pain around the area of my left kidney. When I went to the doctors about they said it should go in time its been nearly 12 months and its still there. Also I've noticed that I am needing the toilet less as well should I be...

Can a Kidney Infection turn into kidney failure answer needed asap [ 6 Answers ]

Can a Kidney Infection turn into Kidney Failure? I was hospitalized and put on antibiotics for 2-3 days but still was given antibiotics to go home with but if they aren't taken could the infection turn into kidney failure

Is it Kidney infection [ 2 Answers ]

On Sunday I started having severe pain in my upper abdomen going through to my back (similar to a gall stone attack - which I had my gallbladder removed just 5 days before) I took tylenol3 - which did nothing Also on Sunday I starting having to frequently go to the washroom and found that when I...

Kidney infection? [ 2 Answers ]

I have pain in my right side and sometimes it hurts towards the stomach and towards the back... I went to the doctors, and they said it could be kidney stones or a kidney infection, they gave me pills for it, and I just finished talking them and yet it still hurtss.. sometimes the pain is even in...

View more questions Search