Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamakins Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2014, 08:26 AM
    Sewer pipe
    Had a blockage located(via camera) in the sewer pipe line about 6 feet outside the driveway entrance. The pipe was shattered. This procedure involved tearing the street up and replacing about 2 feet of the PVC pipe. My pipe was in perfect condition up to that point where it looked like someone hit it with a hammer. The price for this is astronomical. Apparently we are responsible for the line up to where it connects to the main sewer line. Since it is off my property, insurance won't cover it. I don't feel this was a freak of nature. A PVC pipe just doesn't break like that. What would cause that? Was it shoddy workmanship when installed or another utility company awhile back hit it or something? I just can't see paying that kind of money if it was someone else's fault. What do you think? House is 32 years old.Name:  IMG_2489.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  2.59 MB
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2014, 04:09 PM
    I guess I would need to know the depth this pipe was at to really be able to offer much of an answer. If the pipe was deep down (2-3 feet down or lower) then my guess is that a rock got thrown into the pit before they backfilled the trench and then when they compacted the dirt over the pipe they drove the rock into the pipe and it cracked and broke over time. If the pipe is buried less than a foot or so below ground then it is possible that the pipe got driven over years ago and finally cracked, broke, and filled with dirt, etc..

At this point, I don't see there is much you can do about it. Certainly is a shame to see such stuff, especially knowing what things cost nowadays!

I wish I could offer more...

Mark
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2014, 04:53 PM
    I think that mass has a reasonable theory there with the rock in the original backfill and may have taken years to finally create a blockage. Or utility work done for other purposes later, especially if another utility line crosses the road above or below your line. If there was fairly recent work in the area you might be able to make a case (big might), but unless someone witnessed a strike on your pipe it will still be tough to prove. How deep was the line at the location of the repair?
    mamakins Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2014, 08:21 AM
    They dug 6-8 feet deep.Attachment 46346

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repair small leak in sewer drain pipe at connection of pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet drain pipe has a small leak where two pipes connect. Is there a way I can repair the connection leak without taking the connection apart?

HOw to pipe washer, then sink to main sewer pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Washer on left side, then sink which goes directly to large drain pipe

How do you disconnect concrete sewer pipe form cast iron pipe [ 10 Answers ]

Well, I have dug out to the cast iron connection outside my stem wall and the concrete pipe seems to be cemented to the cast iron pipe. Any tricks to get this cast iron pipe cleaned up so I can connect the plastic pipe to it? Could I use a small chisel and chip away carefully so as not to break...

To wet test a sewer drain install, do you plug the sewer pipe as it enters the septic [ 2 Answers ]

Three questions. For a sewer drain wet test, do you plug the drain as it enters the new septic tank? Where does the 10' wet stack go and can you change direction 45 degrees under a slab in the main sewer drain line ?

View more questions Search