Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdguest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2014, 05:19 PM
    Can you feed a switch box with the load side of gfi
    Can you feed a switch box with the load side of gfi recept? When I try this in my new house the gfi will not set. In other locations the gfi's are feeding other recepticals and they work fine. Both switch boxes that I am feeding from gfi's are four gang switches.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2014, 03:42 PM
    Can you show or describe the connections you are making in the 4 gang switch box? Do the switches require GFCI protection? If not, can you connect to the line side of the GFCI?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2014, 06:20 AM
    There are no requiements in the code for switches to be protected by a GFCI circuit.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2014, 06:23 AM
    I don't like to put lights on the load side. If the GF trips, you lose all your lighting. Run from the line side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to determine the supply side & load side of a cable/wire [ 2 Answers ]

How to determine the supply side & load side of a cable/wire ?

GFI tripping with no wires on the load side and nothing plugged in. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with a bathroom GFI receptical that has just started tripping sometimes when the bathroom fan is switched on. The thing that gets me is that the fan is not ran off the load side of the GFI. All that comes into the device box is a black/white/ground which are tied in on the line...

How do I wire a GF outlet and a switch in double box with a 12/2 feed only? [ 7 Answers ]

This is a new construction but sheetrock is up... I need to make one ground fault outlet and one switch to a vainity light in one double box... the only wire that was put in is a 12/2 wire. One Black, one white, one ground. I would like the outlet to be always hot if possible, but if not I guess...

277/480 load after transformer = to 120/208 load feed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 800 amp 120/208 3P stand up section that feeds a step up 90kva transformer and the loads are nearly equal? I thought that after the transformer the load of 277/480 would be drawing less. We have about 500 amps per phase being drawn in front of the transformer and the load at the sub...

Gfi with load switch built in [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a GFI with a LOAD switch already built in from the factory. It has the normal GFI test button along with a switch to operate say a light for ex. I have 2 wire plus a ground coming in to the box plus the 2 wires from the light on the wall. I forgot to mention the GFI has 2 external...

View more questions Search