Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldr3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 10:44 PM
    Teacher retirement disability and social security disability
    I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability.

I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me.

"If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free.

If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable."

Also, my son receives dependent social security. Am I still able to claim him and file as head

Of household?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 01:50 PM
    The Social Securiyt disability is definitely NOT taxable.

Your teacher disability IS taxable, but it is likely the ONLY taxable income you have.

Yes, you CAN claim your son and still be Head of Household, even though he is receiving the Social Security income.

BTW, that is HIS income; do NOT add it to your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability Garnishment [ 12 Answers ]

Can my social security disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt?

Judgement for Social Security Disability Benefits [ 27 Answers ]

I am on social security disability benefits and it is the only income I have. If a credit card company has a judgement against me can they take my disability benefits, personal belongings, or home or lien on home to repay debt? What can they do to collect the debt?

Social Security Disability? And a child [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was married 12 years ago , and got a divorce. The mother of his son they had, remarried four years ago. My husband fell ill and almost died from diebeities complications. During this time recoporating he than went on SSD for Mental Illness,bi-polar. His ex wife took him to court and...

Ssdi social security disability arrears in Oregon state [ 6 Answers ]

First post ,I see some of you look to be getting some help so I thought I would ask a question that no lawyer that I have talked to yet can answer . I have been out of work for 7 yrs do to a disability all along racking up arrears I had a few meadeations administrative hearings and...

Retirement because of Disability [ 5 Answers ]

I have worked for this company for 30yrs & have been on permanent disability for the last 2 yrs. I called today to respectfully tell them I will not be returning due to permanent disability. I have spoken with our long term disability provider & they said I must contact the company. I have told...

View more questions Search