Ask
    zlynch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2014, 07:59 AM
    How do I get rid of Wheat moths?
    How Do I get rid of Wheat Moths?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 21, 2014, 08:06 AM
    If you mean the tiny moths that get in flours and grains and all sorts of foods, it's extremely difficult. I've done it! Some people say it's easier to move. It's most likely the Indian Meal Moth, called by countless common names such as flour, grain, or pantry moth.

Throw out all food from cupboards. Don't forget cereals, dry pet foods and bird seed (I got mine from bird seed).
    Buy vacuum containers such as OXO. They are expensive, but worth it. The lids MUST seal tight with some vacuum. Soft plastics are NO GOOD, and that includes ziplock bags.
    Wash all cupboard shelves and insides. Wash the entire kitchen and storage areas thoroughly.
    Start over with all new food, and start slowly, in case you missed a few.
    For a while, keep all new food that you can in the fridge or freezer.
    Trying to freeze foods to kill the eggs doesn't work.
    Chemicals are no good.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 21, 2014, 11:17 AM
    Most of the grain moths (another name for the several pantry pest moth species) are attracted to the pheromone traps available in the big box lawn and garden stores. You can also look online for "moth traps." You will find several different brands. One warning they all make that you really need to keep in mind; more is NOT better. If you use too many, your house can become saturated with the pheromone and confuse the insects, preventing them from being trapped. Most traps say use no more than two at a time.

Joypuly's advice on cleaning out the pantry is correct. Replace all dry goods, including nuts and pet food. An experienced exterminator can tell you which products are safe to keep, but if you don't want to hire one you need to dump everything. Clean the entire pantry, including the ceiling and doorframes, with ammonia based cleansers such as Mr. Clean or Windex. Chlorine based cleansers such as Chlorox and 409 don't seem to work quite as well, and the oil based cleaners like Pine-Sol and Simple Green seem to make them worse.

Keeping foodstuffs in sealed containers is a good idea for more reasons than moth control. They will stay fresher longer and food odors won't attract other types of pests such as ants or mice.

So here's how to proceed:
    1. Get rid of dry goods including pet food, nuts, and even potpourri.
    2. Clean
    3. Clean again. You missed something.
    4. Get one or two pheromone traps and set them out.
    5. Replace foods and store them in sealed containers.
    Amy V Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2014, 08:49 PM
    I got rid of them by using the Vacuum Cleaner, with the extended hose. When the moths are on the ceiling, they don't really move, keep the light on at Night in the Kitchen, and they will go to the Kitchen; then in the morning you just vacuum them up... it took a few days, but it worked like a charm!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get rid of wheat bugs from kitchen cabinets [ 0 Answers ]

How to get rid of wheat bugs in kitchen cabinets. I washed every one of my cabinets, got rid of any dry food with bugs. Thought it was done. They are back.HELP ME PLEASE

How to get rid of wheat bugs [ 8 Answers ]

I am finding small black bugs in my flour and other dry goods e.g. cereal, gravy mixes, pasta. They even get into sealed plastic containers. The bugs are very small, smaller than a rice kernel. I have cleaned and sprayed inside of the cabinets. This has helped but has not completely done the...

Trying to Conceive for 6 moths now [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been trying to conceive for 6 months and haven't had much of luck. When we have sex his sperm always seems to sit at the surface of my vagina. If I get up it runs right out, I've even tried going sleep for the night and waking up the next morning to get up and it still runs...

Pantry moths! [ 8 Answers ]

We had a major problem with pantry moths a couple of years ago. Then we cleared everything out and put anything that hadn't been contaminated into tightly sealed glass jars. Still, these little pests keep coming back! There aren't many of them, but I know they're still here. Is there a...

Butterfly v. Moths [ 1 Answers ]

Technically, what is the difference between a moth and a butterfly.

View more questions Search