Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheilman31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2014, 06:59 AM
    I have been working for someone for less than a month as a 199 employee
    I have been working for less than a month as a 1099 employee for an independent life insurance rep. I have been out of my last job for a month now as I quit my other job when I started this job. Originally I was told this job paid way more a year than it does and I was not notified until after I was hired that the position was a 1099 position. I have only been with her for four weeks and today I found out I might get fired. Is there still a way for me to file for Unemployment in the state of Va since I haven't been with her for 90 days yet?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 21, 2014, 07:12 AM
    UI is rarely approved when someone quits, and the employer gets to protest if you do apply. You have to have a reason for quitting that qualifies for UI, such as a reduction in hours, tasks, location, or pay. I don't see any reason to apply in your case; you have no chance. (And employers pay when someone collects, in higher premiums.)

I'm sorry about your new job. You could probably turn the company in to the Labor Dept. for some violation. You aren't really a 1099 contractor. You won't get any compensation, but you might be able to put her out of operation, especially if you spend routine time at her place of business. There's a very remote chance she could be forced to pay you minimum wage, but the wheels grind slowly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for an employee working in the US on a L-1A Visa [ 2 Answers ]

If an employee is coming into the US on a L-1A Visa, what taxes are the employee and employer liable for and what are they exempt from paying?

I have a 199 Mercury Sable that will not go into gear. The linkage is working fine. [ 0 Answers ]

I changed the transmission fluid and filter. The fluid was brownish red and no shavings or anything in the transmission pan. The linkage is fine and the fluid reads higher than full though I only added 8qts and the system calls for 13.4 qts. even after letting it warm up. It seems like the fluid is...

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

US employee working in Italy [ 1 Answers ]

I am an American with residency in Italy(am here more than 300 days /year) working for a US company based in California, running a study abroad program for US universities. I pay Medicare and Social Security taxes in the US but am exempt for Federal taxes(which I have withheld) and then get back at...

View more questions Search