Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xx-man Posts: 37, Reputation: -1

Jul 20, 2014, 11:29 AM
    Small engine repair
    Hello thee !
    I have an old craftsman ride on mower that has not been started for about three years. When I stored it I let it run out of gas that had been stabilized,and placed a little oil in the cylinder and slow stroked it. Now To ready it for service again I replaced the battery, air filter, cleaned the fuel filter, changed the oil , flushed out the cylinder and replaced the spark plug... it started right up, ran a little rough so I adjusted the carb and it was great... BUT... after a few minutes it started to smoke and stalled out.. I checked the air filter and thee was an excessive amount of oil in the rear of the filter.. The owners manual says nothing about an oil mixture or any adjustment screw... BUT there does seem to be a port in which oil or oil vapor could be delivered into the carb... Is there an adjustment ? Is this a serviceable problem ? Is thee a trouble shooting procedure I could follow to resolve the problem ?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2014, 12:24 PM
    This from a Sears Parts site:

"Thank you for your question... If the engine has oil leaking from the air filter, I recommend checking the oil level first. If the engine is over filled, it will blow oil out the breather into the air filter. To cure this you need to drain some of the oil so it reads full on the dipstick. Then remove the air filter and wipe up all the spilled oil. Once it is cleaned up, leave the air filter out and start the engine. The engine will likely smoke for a few minutes. Usually 5 to ten minutes. After the engine stops smoking go ahead and install a new air filter and it should be ready to go. You can also get oil into the air filter if the mower is tipped the wrong way when servicing. If you tip the mower so the air filter is pointing down oil will run out the breather into the air filter. To cure this you need to add oil to bring it back full. Then wipe up the oil and replace the air filter. If the engine still gets oil onto the air filter, I suspect the breather is defective. "

This, more drastic opinion from B&S: "Why is my air filter soaked with oil?
    B&S Response: This is typically caused by a blown head gasket. A blown head gasket can allow pressure to build up in the crankcase and force engine oil out through the breather. Other symptoms to this condition include the burning of oil, smoking, and overall loss of power. "

Here's hoping that the first opinion is correct.

xx-man Posts: 37, Reputation: -1

Jul 20, 2014, 12:47 PM
    Thank you for a quick response... well... the oil level is OK... it was running fine when it started smoking... and from all the other sites I have researched it seems most likely it could be either a blown head gasket or a clogged breather. I guess I better start breaking it down...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

18hp entek plus engine repair or replace [ 1 Answers ]

I think I blew my craftsman LT1000 18hp entek plus engine (31H777 0202-E1). It doesn't make sense to replace it new for $699. Is it worth repairing? Also, I found a used 31D777 0193-E1 from a Murray tractor. Will this interchange easily??

Small marble repair [ 3 Answers ]

We have an outdoor marble table top that has a very small (1/4" long, 1/16" deep) dig in it. Is there some sort of kit or product on the market that I could match the color and fill it with? Or, does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Lawn mower engine repair [ 3 Answers ]

How do I change the pull rope on my weed eater lawn mower

View more questions Search