Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    idave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Here's my (incomplete) story.

I have reconnected with my lost love. I've been married for 27 years to someone else. I can't say I've ever been wildly crazy about my wife. I dated a lot of women after the woman I wanted to be with was out of the picture. I married my wife because I liked her a lot and I wanted a marriage and family. We had two great kids who are on their own, now.

The truth, though, is that I didn't passionately love my wife. I loved her, but not with passion.

Over the years, my wife and I seemed to lose the sense of intimacy with each other that we both wanted to share. I think I'm the one at fault, as I was never truly in love with my wife - over all those years, I never forgot about my old love. My wife says the same thing I do - that her lack of affection for me was because she had trouble committing herself to me - that she always had a sort of inability to love me completely, because she was always afraid of her feelings, and afraid, early on, that I would leave her, that she wasn't a good enough person for me to want to be with.

We both began to harbor a simmering anger for each other - I because my wife seemed to lack affection for me, and because she seemed to so little enjoy sex with me. She was angry with me because I only showed affection during sex and she thought - rightly so - that I wasn't a full partner in our marriage, that I didn't pull my weight.

In truth, I would never have left my wife - except for one person, my old flame.

I would never have contacted my old love. She contacted me. The explosion of feelings for me were instantaneous. I was in love with my old flame, and she claims to love me. She split from her husband not long after we started communicating - her marriage had been on the skids for years. For good or for bad, I was apparently a catalyst for the end of her marriage.

After a few months, my wife found out about my affair. I'm not sure why, but she's stuck with me. She totally changed. From not enjoying sex with me, she enjoys sex. From lack of affection - simple touching, kissing, etc. - she's very affectionate.

And we've both the anger we had for each other.

The truth, though, is that I never fully loved my wife. And I always loved my old flame. Yes, it's all a fantasy. But I've visited my old flame a few times, and the experience was more than I imagined it could be. I love my old love.

And I don't love my wife. And I'd love to be with my old flame.

But I've discovered it's not that easy to leave my wife. Part of it is that I've hurt her so much and don't want to hurt her more. It's very hard, to, to disentangle from the partnership that forms when you've been with someone for so long. Frankly, it's hard to give up the comfort of what I have - a pleasant home, my dog, enough room for all the stuff I've collected over the years, and of course a loving wife who is, now, everything I think we want in a spouse.

The truth, though, is I don't love my wife. Whatever love I did have evaporated over the years of anger toward each other. That's just the truth, and I can't turn love on for her, love I never had in any abundance. And I love my old flame. And if I live another 20 or so years with my wife, I'm always going to regret not trying to be with my old flame. And I'm going to have to live a lie, pretending to love my wife. Because I don't.

I'm not sure what to do. Either way, I think I lose.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
    I'm not sure what to do. Either way, I think I lose.
    You sure do, Somebody is going to hurt no matter which way you go. Shame you wasted all this time being unhappy and not solving your problems. A marriage of convenience is no good for any one. But you got what you wanted and I hope she did too. Its not very fair if she didn't.

I moved you to your own thread to save the integrity of the original you posted on.
    louie1 Posts: 183, Reputation: 49

Apr 6, 2007, 05:06 AM
    I would say some time on your own is desperately needed !

Oddly enough I understand !

For 15 years I had someone in my life he was an ex boyfriend and we stayed in contact by email, all the while we were married we always thought we were made for each other and one day would be together.last year both of our marriages broke down and we both became single, we saw each other for a short while and it felt like we had never been apart he was great and we would quite easily fit into each others lives. Then he was going to move in and I freaked it did not seem right and I called it all off, he is still angry weeks on and even though I still sometimes see a future with him I am not ready to commit as I broke up my marriage due to not having the feelings I should have had for my husband.We also had a good life and that is very hard to let go of however I think the real questions you need to ask yourself are,

1.Am I in this relationship for the right reasons?
    2.Can we move on from the ex and put this behind us?
    3.What are the next 20 or so years to be like?

You must not purely leave for wife for another woman as if that relationship goes sour you will resent each other!
    If you love your wife and feel that you have something to build on then cut contact with the ex and concentrate on your wife.

You need to take time out and really look at your life and once you make your decision stick to it and go forth with every ounce you have no looking back.

Staying in a relationship for comfort is wrong and unfair to you both! Consider how your wife must feel playing second best.

You are on the first run of an emotional roller coaster as whatever decision you make will impact on everyone around you.

Good luck I am a year on , do not regret a thing other than marrying a man for the same reasons you married your wife.I wasted 11 years of his life and for that I am sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost in love [ 2 Answers ]

I've never used an online forum such as this, but I'm desperate to get the opinion of others who are totally removed from my situation. I know that everyone has gone through this, and I've been the one to give advice to friends in my shoes in the past.. but it feels so different when it is you! ...

Lost love [ 3 Answers ]

My name is yasmine and I have been going out wit this boy for 8 months, He told me he loved me and everything I told him the same thing any way we had a good relationship! I really had feelins for him. He told my cousin that he didn't like me, he started flirtin wit my cousin who is only 13 he is...

The love I lost [ 9 Answers ]

I broke up with my boyfriend because I unfairly assumed that he would not accept something I had to tell him. After the fact, I told him anyway. He was o.k. with it. Now I KNOW that I may have missed out on the love of my life. He thinks that I pushed him away because I was interested in someone...

Lost in love [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, I'm in need of help.. I have a boyfriend of 6 months and we are so happy we are togather. Suddenly this week my boyfriend acts all depressed. I ask him what's wrong. He says we don't see a lot of each other. I know we don't see a lot of each other cause we are sooo BUSY. When he calls he...

View more questions Search