Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greentree30 Posts: 143, Reputation: 28

Jul 18, 2014, 09:25 PM
    How will a divorce affect me financially?
    I've been married almost 5 years, but I'm not sure if me and my husband will stay together. I want us to go to therapy for a while and then decide.

My question is, if we do divorce, I'm worried how I'm going to support myself. I'm disabled and my disability check is only $220 a month. Will I get SSDI (supplemental income)? If so, will they give me enough to live in a small apartment and enough for food, etc? I expect to live poorly, but I just want to know if I'll at least get enough money to put a roof over my head, pay bills, and afford groceries. I don't think I would try to get spousal support (unless social security gives me so little that I'm very desperate). But I'd really rather not ask that of my husband.

I live in Louisiana. Does anyone have an idea how much money I'd get (even a ballpark amount)?
    Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2014, 10:04 PM
    In most cases, it would not be enough to live on. ( or at a level I would want to live)
    Perhaps if you could get free or reduced housing.

You need to go to the office and discuss this with the case worker, to look at your specific file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it right to divorce a financially irresponsible husband? [ 2 Answers ]

I am writing this mail from africa. I have been married for almost four years. My husband and I do not have any children yet. Before we got married, my hausband had a good job, he had a car and he was living in the familiy house. However, I noticed he was not paying his bills especially electricity...

Would divorce affect my resident status? [ 3 Answers ]

Been married for 4 years and have had my residency for approx. 1 year and a 6 months

Does divorce affect immigration status? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I became a PR of Canada a month ago, my husband sposored me. Now we want to divorce. Will this dovorce affect my PR status. We live in Toronto, Canada. Thanks

I want a divorce how do I protect myself financially? [ 4 Answers ]

I want a divorce. My husband has been unfaithful three times in my two year marriage. How can I protect myself financially? I have two daughters and sold my home that was nearly paid off to live with him. I was debt free with a car paid for and home pd off in 8 years. Now in debt to my...

How can a divorce affect someone's residence? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I want to get divorced from my husband, but at the same time I don't want to affect his status here. He's been a U.S. Residence since October 2006 (less than 2 years) and we've been married for about 3 or 4 years, together for almost 7 years and have a 5 year old son. Would a...

View more questions Search