Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesdavid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2014, 12:59 PM
    Leftover shingles
    I had a new roof put on my house by a local contractor. Work was done mostly to my satisfaction. Here's the problem: Roofer ordered too much material and left I at my home -- several metal pieces, two rolls of felt paper, three bundles (1 square or 100 sq ft) of shingles. I contend that the roofing company should take back the leftovers and not charge me for it. He maintains that overages happen and I should just keep the stuff.

I have no need for the material. I've asked builder's representative to take back the material and discount the final bill. He says he will take it and not refund any money. When I pressed him on what would happen if he took it back, he said the company would return it to the manufacturer for a refund. This, to me is unethical.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2014, 02:11 PM
    Don't let him have them. Donate them to habitat for humanity or go on line and find a community support group who can use them.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2014, 04:35 PM
    Excellent idea!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 18, 2014, 06:04 PM
    So, look at a itemized bill ( I would never pay without one) and deduct the cost of this, and make a offer to settle final bill.

But one roll of felt, is not much.. You want, ( you really want) left over shingles, to save in case of damage or problems years in future.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2014, 06:28 PM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck... you want to put away at least one or two packs of shingles someplace cool (like your basement, NOT the attic or garage) for future repairs... odds are you will never find a match if you need them in a future, and if you've ever driven by a house with mismatched shingles... you would see how aweful it looks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Implantation bleeding or leftover blood? [ 3 Answers ]

Could I be experiencing implantation bleeding a week after my period? It's the 4th day and I'm bleeding very lightly a faint pink/brown. AF is not supposed to come tntil the end of this month!

SSI requesting any leftover money returned. [ 1 Answers ]

SSI is requesting any money left over in my sons account be returned. However he needs clothes shoes a coat his money pays utilities and a third of the food. They want to start sending money directly to my son. Has anyone heard of this.

Same day leftover tickets broadway shows [ 1 Answers ]

It sounds like one could follow people into the theater after intermission and look for an Empty seat... but is there a way to get a leftover ticket at the boxoffice right before the Play starts. I can't afford play tickets... I know I can look for someone on the street Who needs to sell a...

Leftover question [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, I was invited out to dine with a friend and his family. I have known these people for almost 8 years now. I consider them to be a part of my family, and as far as I can tell they consider me a part of theirs. Here is my question. The meal was paid for by his aunts, I only ate half of...

View more questions Search