Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2014, 06:29 AM
    Judgement
    Judgment:

This is something I didn’t know? A judgment was placed
    In 1995 against a girl who had an accident in Florida. The judge’s
    Judgment was for $13,000 that the auto insurance didn’t cover. The judge also added” Post Judgment Interest”
    Some months she paid more than what was necessary. In 2014
    She owed $16,000.” If you pay more than the minimum each month, the amount owed can go up, and it’s legal.
    This I didn't know about judgments
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 18, 2014, 06:30 AM
    Pastor, what is your question?

There was interest added to the judgment. Interest adds up.

"Some months she paid more than was necessary," but I'm betting more months she paid the minimum or less.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2014, 07:01 AM
    You pay more, but they still charge you more interest. Have you heard of that before?
    Expert

Jul 18, 2014, 07:08 AM
    Many times you have to specify that you want the overpayment paid towards the principle otherwise it is paid towards the interest. Interest compounds on the principle, so you want to pay the principle down first.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2014, 08:02 AM
    Oh I see, like a mortgage payment
    Expert

Jul 18, 2014, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    Oh I see, like a mortgage payment
    Or a car payment. Anything that has interest really.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 18, 2014, 03:29 PM
    Paying just the minimum, like with credit cards, is a disaster, as this was. 19 years and she owes more than she started with. The sad part is that interest rates have gone way down. If she had a negotiator, I'll bet she could knock a lot of that 16K down. Provided she has records and really did make monthly payments, on time, all those years.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2014, 03:54 AM
    Thank folks. Poor girl. She has a beauty salon today. But the attorney told her
    To declare bankruptcy to get out of this problem, going back to when she was a teenager.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 19, 2014, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189
    ... Some months she paid more than what was necessary. ...
    No amount is "necessary". A judgment doesn't require the judgment debtor to pay anything on the judgment. Of course, if she paid less than the interest which accrued in that month, the total would go up.

Quote Originally Posted by J 9
    ... Interest compounds on the principle, so you want to pay the principle down first. ...
    Incorrect. Judgments bear simple interest. And the word you want to use is "principal".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a law firm collect on a judgement if I am already paying on another judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement with Citibank that I am curently making payments on. Capital One just obtained a judgement against me. I have a wage hearing with the judge in a few weeks. Can Capital one collect on this judgement since I am already paying on one already?

Judgement by default, now trying to enforce judgement [ 2 Answers ]

Received a judgement by default... by cavalry portfolio... a debt collector service. Now they had a sheriff show up at my home due to a levy, and theyb assessed my assests. Can they do that?

Unaware of default judgement /cause of judgement [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, my husband was called by a collection agency informing him of a default judgement of over $8,000 which he had no prior knowledge of. The default judgement was 12/2005. He was told that it was for a credit card he had in 1996. He sincerely believes that he was the victim of identity...

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

Judgement HELP [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement on me from a credit card company for the a mount of $1400.00 I'm down to $800.00 now done paid $500.00, I am be hind by $150.00 and it's a 100.00 a month payment plan, I got a letter saying if I don't get cought up with the $150.00 that I could be faceing more legal fees and that...

View more questions Search