Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mechsol61 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2014, 07:33 AM
    Tyre force
    If a car travelling in a 20 metre circle at 10 kilometres per hour increases its speed to 20 kilometres per hour does the force of the tyre on the road double or square ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 16, 2014, 08:09 AM
    Hint: the magnitude of centripetal acceleration for an object moving in a circle at constant speed is . Memorize it! Note the v (velocity) term, and recall that the force needed to keep the object moving in the circle is detemined from . So now what do you think the answer is?

Jul 16, 2014, 11:10 PM
    I haven't a clue. I'm an electrical engineer and that's why I'm asking the question.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2014, 05:31 AM
    Think about the formulas I gave you. Centripetal acceleration goes as the square of velocity, and the force between the tires and the road to keep the car moving in a circle is proportional to the centripetal acceleration.

Jul 17, 2014, 05:48 AM
    Hi ebaines. So from that, I take it that when the speed doubles the force between the tyre and the road squares ! I know this happens to the wind resistance of a motor vehicle when its speed doubles the force of the air acting on it actually squares, but the laws of physiscs are something I don't use on a daily basis. Thank you for your assistance.
    Expert

Jul 17, 2014, 05:52 AM
    Correct! Another pheneomenon that goes as velocity squared is kinetic energy: KE = (1/2)mv^2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find force of gravity, normal force, and net force in Physics [ 6 Answers ]

A crate of mass m (=10 kg) is placed at rest on a (frictionless) inclined plane, which has an angle (= 30 deg ) above horizontal 1. The force of gravity on the crate is? 2. The normal force on the crate is? 3. The net force on the crate is? 4. How long would it take the crate to slide 8 m...

Tubeless tyre leaks [ 4 Answers ]

I have a ford ikon with 14" Pirelli tubeless tyres. The problem is that whenever the vehicle is stationary for 2 or more days, the tyres flat out. Also even when driving I have to refill one of the tyres every 2 or 3 days. I asked a tyre expert but he recommends me to fit a tube, which I don't want...

Inflated tyre [ 5 Answers ]

Sir, I wanted to know whether the pressurised air in the automobile wheel will increase or decrease in a course of time if yes,why? surresh raja

Tyre Track Dimensions [ 1 Answers ]

What tyre track dimensions can be measured at a crime scene and how could this help identify the responsible vehicle\?

View more questions Search