Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zebra_14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2014, 07:49 PM
    Should I leave our one week old kittens for two weeks?
    1 week ago our cat had her first litter of (6)kittens. They are finally starting to open their eyes but, tomorrow afternoon we(my family and I) are going to our family farm for two weeks...
    Currently our cat and her kittens are staying on our covered deck which has a ladder for jade(the mother cat) to get down and she can only get at it by jumping on our garage roof.(which is easy for her) The kittens deffinatly can't get off the deck but one of the kittens got out of their box and across the entire deck today! (they can't even walk yet) and we deffinatly wouldn't have found her if she wasn't constantly meowing!

Jade hasn't moved her kittens out of her box at all yet and probably wouldn't move one back in.where ever they go she usually just sits by them or checks on them once and a while..

At "the farm" there are no indoor animals or cats at all, just one very large outdoor dog... it is a two hour drive and we would love to bring the kittens with is but they might be safer at our house.. we have never had jade in a moving veichle before.

We are having a family friend come and check on them (if we leave them) every 2-3 days..

Will the kittens become mean if they get no attention while growing up?
    Or are they safer at home where they were born...

Please help.. our cat had her kittens very early as we were planning for them to to be born when we got back..

Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 14, 2014, 08:53 PM
    During the next two weeks, the kittens will be moving around and exploring. This deck is enclosed so the kittens will be safe? They will not be staying in their box!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 14, 2014, 09:35 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't leave any pet alone for two weeks. Even if you have someone check on them every few days, there are countless ways they can get hurt. What if mom gets hurt and doesn't come back? By the time someone checked on them, the kittens would have starved to death.

As long as you get a crate big enough for mom and all the kittens, they should travel OK. Once there, could you keep the cats confined to a single room? It's only for a couple weeks, and they're young enough that mom won't want to be too far from them, anyway. As long as you provide food, water, and a litter box, they'll all be fine. Just keep in mind, the kittens will at least double in size before you leave, so the crate you take them in needs to be big enough for them to leave in.
    zebra_14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2014, 09:37 PM
    Yes the deck is very secure
    I wish we could stay while they are so little yet!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One week from going out on maternity leave. Can I change my leave date? [ 2 Answers ]

One week from going out on maternity leave. Can I change my leave date so I can use my PTO and get my full commission pay? Otherwise I will be cut 25% or more from what deals close while out on leave. However if I was on PTO-such as vacation-I would get 100%. Help!!

2x 16 week kittens [ 2 Answers ]

My youngest of 2 cats (sachi) was killed by a car on Friday, and my mum thought that she would cheer me up with 2 new 16 week kittens, one male one female, reluctantly I took them, they were obviously very nervous and quiet. They were infested with fleas which I have treated them both, and washed...

4 week old kittens what do I do? [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 4 week old kittens. One of them will eat the food that you water down and add a little soft food. The other will only eat the hard food. The problem is that he can only suck on it and then spit it out because he can't chew. How or what can I do to get him to eat?

4 week old kittens [ 9 Answers ]

My cat had a litter of kittens 4 weeks ago today. Two days after delivery mom died. So far I've been doing pretty good raising them. But 3 days ago they stopped have bowel movement on there own and was difficult with stimulation. Found some remedies on this site. Which worked but now bm is loose...

2 week old kittens [ 6 Answers ]

I have some 2 week old kittens and they have fleas,How do I get rid of the fleas without hurting them?:

View more questions Search