Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2014, 07:41 AM
    How to create an "awning" over open cement blocks under a deck?
    The foundation of my house has a shelf once intended for a stone front which was never installed. It's 3 cement blocks below the bottom of the siding. It's not readily accessible since a low 2-level deck was built over it and I think the open cement blocks in the shelf (which should have been capped when it was built) might be letting water into the basement. One level of the deck is about 2' high and the other is about 18" high. Chipmunks live in some of the block openings and I won't cement over them. I've been unsuccessful evicting the ones in the most visible hole, since they keep moving the stone I placed over it as a test.

I'm trying to figure out what to use and how to use it to create a slanted "roof" from above the open blocks (possibly wedged behind the siding above them) to the deck supports, the angle being approx. 26" under the higher deck level and 23" to the lower one. There also are two inside corners and one outside corner at the house entrance to contend with. I've removed some boards from the lower level with a car jack (the boards were nailed in) and have only 12" from the front of the house to the first 12" x 3" redwood beam (resting on the narrower side) to get to the shelf at the 20" long lower level.

Due to the lack of working space from the deck support beams and minimal height, I think I'll need to do prefab work of some kind, but I can't figure out what to use. (The guys in the pro department at 2 different Lowe's wished me luck.) I also need something that can resist the elements and isn't too difficult to cut so I can trim it in place, if necessary.

Help!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2014, 11:19 AM
    Little hard to exactly understand what you are planning. Post a picture to help us. Click the "Go Advanced" box under the posting area.

Jul 15, 2014, 05:08 PM
    Sorry. I have no way to post a picture. I realize it's confusing. I'd like to figure out what I can use to cover a row of open cement blocks from about 25" above them angled out to maybe 12" away where a (rigid) cover would hit the deck supports. This would be so rain would be redirected from the cement block holes and away from the house.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2014, 07:21 PM
    Can't you fill in the block voids? Stuff fiberglass insulation in the holes, compress down an inch or two and fill with concrete.

Jul 16, 2014, 05:12 AM
    There are chipmunks living in some of the holes and I don't want to block them in. I'm trying to figure out what I can install above the holes so rain doesn't get it, but is directed away without doing the concrete thing.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2014, 05:17 AM
    Screw the chipmunks. From another thread you had earlier they have been there for a while and have no reason to leave. I'd cap it off anyway. Get enough water in the voids, then have subfreezing weather happen before the water can migrate out and you will have busted blocks.

Personally Chip and Dale will go the King Tut route before I allowed my property to suffer damage.

Jul 17, 2014, 07:28 AM
    Even if I wanted to cap off the blocks with the chipmunks inside (an inhumane and offensive option that I won't consider), I would have to dig down about 6" to get to the shelf for a length of about 20', most of which I can't reach. By checking the one chipmunk hole that's readily accessible, mothballs haven't worked. There are at least 10 others where I can't confirm whether they're inhabited, but it's likely. I'd appreciate help with the "awning" approach as mentioned in my originalo post, which I still feel is the best option for my purposes.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2014, 07:31 AM
    You are making this far more difficult... and far more expensive than it needs to be. By your own choice.

Jul 17, 2014, 01:22 PM
    Yes, smoothy. It is my choice to handle this problem humanely.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2014, 02:34 PM
    They are most likely to be eaten by a preditor, they are very low on the food chain... so "humane" is a very subjective thing. They also dig around foundations, possibly causing damge to the yard and foundations (enough of then can do significant damage), and if you or your neighbors have flowers or bulbs planted they will decimate them.

Also consider, you haven't been offered up much if any other alternative solutions by anyone. Dump a lot more mothball flakes (not just mothballs), they will go... then do what you need to do.

Jul 17, 2014, 03:20 PM
    Not sure what's subjective about burying them alive. Thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2014, 03:50 PM
    Well as opposed to what house cats, dogs, foxes, hawks and owls or other large birds not to mention coyottes ( you would be surprised where coyottes are these days) and wolves would do was the point I Was making, while trying not to be graphic.

I don't kick puppies... or torture animals to get my jollies, in fact I like them,. I don't care what they do in my back yard (where I planted a lot of trees and bushes giving it a very rural look and wild animals flock to) and I have far more wildlife than anyone should have in the middle of a rural area not withstanding the fact I'm in the middle of a city and have less than 1/2 acre, I leave them alone unless they screw with my house or my expensive landscaping in front of my house... and if you ever sell the house to another... if there is damage due to significant tunneling under and around the foundation... and you didn't specifically tell them about it if you knew or not... you could be held civilly liable. If it effects your neighbors properties you can be as well.

If you end up with a foundation failure while you are there, it could cost you tens of thousands of dollars to correct... I've seen the results of damage various types of burrowing rodents cause. And you rarely ever know how bad it is before a structural failure happens.

Personally, if your house falls down or sustains expensive damage down the road because you ignored advice... thats on you. If it happened because I knew what could happen and failed to say anything because you didn't know, then I would feel responsible. That's why I am taking the time to write this.

Jul 18, 2014, 05:47 AM
    Thanks for your comments, but I asked for suggestions on what to use to create an "awning."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cement slab house how long before laying cement blocks? [ 2 Answers ]

After a slab is poured how long should you let it cure before putting up cement blocks

Waterproofing Painted Cement Blocks [ 1 Answers ]

I have cement blocks in my basement, which are painted. I started getting black spots on my paint. I scraped the paint, but there is white paint under it which I have not been able to remove. While scrapping, pieces of the white paint did come off which revealed small black spots in cement...

Cement blocks turning white [ 8 Answers ]

2 years ago I had a cement wall built and when spring came there where hugh white spots on the cement taking up about 50% of it. I called the contractor and he said it was curing. This year I have the same problem. I bought a corn broom and it will not come off with this. What is the cause and what...

Tile directly to cement basement floor to create shower [ 6 Answers ]

A year ago I had to rip out a small neo angle shower in my basement because it backed up. It has a metal strainer on it that rusted shut and the floor drain was not above the shower pan drain to be reached. Also, it turns out that under the plastic shower pan of the previous shower, the tiling...

How to build deck on cement slab [ 1 Answers ]

I like to know if I can build deck on existing cement slab and pur boards directly on slab and how would I tie boards down to slab

View more questions Search