Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mimi19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2014, 06:00 AM
    Moving to North Carolina
    I'm looking to move to north Carolina next summer 2015,I'm coming from VA in search of new opportunities. I would like to know which area seems ideal for me as I do not know much about NC but have heard great things. When I move I will have my associates degree In general studies, Im looking to continue my degree at a small college studying human services. College ideas? I'm also young and would be sprouting out on my own ,I was thinking Raleigh, charlotte ? Which area has a good cost of living? Coming from VA I pay about 450 in rent for a 2 bedroom. I'm looking for an area of low crime rate, I'm trying toescape the county setting feel I like entertainment and shopping but would like to move somewhere with low crime and kind of cheap. What kind of jobs could I get> is it easy to get into the school system? I have experience working with children and would love to continue, or possibly an administrative assistant? How's the pay? Willi survive if I look for that kind of job? Also I'm bringing along a family member with felonies on his background which area could he find a job in? He's interested in construction
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2014, 07:38 AM
    YOu are aware this is an international site... and 99.99% of the people here aren't from North Carolina... or even visited it.

Low rent and low crime rates do NOT go hand in hand anyplace I have ever lived... (three sataes and two countries)

Where I live... a ONE bedroom apartment will cost you over $1,800 a month rent... a 2 bedroom over $2,400 and a house starting over $3,500 and way up depending on how nice you want. Anyplace much cheaper is going to be in a high crime area.

You really don't have a lot of choices outside of the Raleight, Durham, Charlotte area as the rest of the state is economically a black hole... and rents in that area are going to be a LOT higher than you are used to. In fact most places where there are lots of jobs the rents are going to be a LOT higher than you are used to. With opportunity... you find higher prices on the essentials.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 14, 2014, 07:49 AM
    First off, you are planning on bringing a family member with felonies. He will need to find out if he is transferrable or not. Depending on his felony, he may not be able to get transferred.

As Smoothy stated, low rent and low crime to not go hand-in-hand. I live in one of the least expensive places in my area (Tennessee) and the least you can get for rent, in a safe place, is about $800 per month.

Your best bet is to get an education. "Working with children" is minimum wage. Administrative Assistant won't happen without a college education unless you are lucky.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jul 14, 2014, 11:05 AM
    The larger metropolitan areas offer the best opportunity for jobs. I have moved from Charlotte 10 years ago and still have friend there. Housing is tightening up so real bargains were gone a couple years ago but still the Charlotte and Raleigh areas offer a lot. As far as the family member with felonies if they are on parole start early by working with their PO to clear any obstacles for their move.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 14, 2014, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi19 View Post
    I'm trying toescape the county setting feel
    Most of North Carolina prides itself on its "country setting feel." Even the cities want to be giant versions of "Cracker Barrel." That said, employment is fairly steady around the military bases in support capacities, but huge transient populations anywhere correlate with higher crime. You might care to look along the coast; beach "country" is very different.

If your family member wants to get into construction, how's his Spanish? Every crew I've encountered in the last decade is at least half first or second generation immigrants.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving to North Carolina from New York [ 1 Answers ]

I am a current student in New York looking to move to Charlotte North Carolina when I graduate. However the only downfall is I will be moving there by myself. Is this a hard area to get use to and meet new people?

I am on South Carolina probation and was arrested in North Carolina for shoplifting.. [ 6 Answers ]

I am on probation in sc and was arrested in nc.. will my po find out? Will I go to prison.. I have completed my drug classes and all my fines are paid on time..

DUI in North Carolina [ 22 Answers ]

I was arrested for a dui in North Carolina in May 2008. The stop was unlawful I was stopped (in the officers own worfds booth to me and my attorney) because "I was a white guy, in a shiny yellow pickup, with out of state plates, and nicely dressed in a black neighborhood known for crime and...

Nude beaches- North Carolina or South Carolina? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I'm looking for a nude beach near myrtle beach but I'm not having any luck. Does anyone know where one is? Thank you blusia

Moving to North Carolina [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are considering moving to NC. We're looking for: affordable housing (200-300K), a small community (50,000 - 100,000 pop.) close to a larger city (we like city life but don't want to live right in it) and somewhat close to the water, say 2 hours. NC seems appealing because of the...

View more questions Search