Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 12, 2014, 10:13 PM
    How to disinfect a previously owned cat scratch post?
    So we went to a bbq today, and on our way out of the neighborhood we saw a cat scratch post with a little cat house on top, sitting on the side of the road. Rod went to take a look, it was in great shape, so we decided to take it with us.

It's one that's covered in carpet. It's very clean. But I'm worried. What if the cat that had it before died of a disease? I would like to disinfect it first, but how? I can't spray anything on it because Kashi the kitten will likely chew on the carpet. I suggested that we wash it down with soap and hot water, pressure wash it, use the wet vac and then let it dry in the sun. But there are pieces on it that would get ruined if we did that.

Any suggestions? Am I being too much of a worry wart here? Would it be okay to just vacuum it and let Kashi have his new toy? Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything? :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 06:08 AM
    Alty, I think you should get a rug shampoo and just go over it. Let it dry out in the sun. Any bacteria would probably be gone by then. Or wash it down; after all, you are not out in any money so do the best you can to make it as safe as you want. If it doesn't work, then it is no loss.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 06:55 AM
    Do you have access to a steam cleaner?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 07:06 AM
    An interesting project.

Life After Money: Refurbishing a cat scratching post

Even if you go the cleaning route, breaking it down makes the cleaning easier.
    Pets Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 01:01 PM
    Cat, after I posted this I thought about my steamer. I have one that's used for cleaning, it's hand held, I use it for my tub to clean the grout, and on my curtains. It's great. Steam also cleans 99.9% of germs (or so they've advertised) and best of all, it's safe.

I was thinking of giving the post a good vacuuming, and then steaming it thoroughly.

Do you all think that would be good enough so I can let Kashi have his new haven?

Tal, interesting idea. The thing is, this cat post is much more elaborate than just a stick. It has a little detachable cat cave on top of it, it has a separate scratch area. I'll post pictures later. But best of all, it's in terrific shape. The carpet looks brand new. There aren't even any stains. The only part that even looks like it was used is the scratch post, and even that is in great condition. It was truly a terrific find. :)

It would be hard to remove all the carpet. It would likely ruin the post. I'd hate to do that.

Tickle, I was thinking about going the rug shampoo route. I actually have a carpet shampooer. It's not in the best of shape, and I doubt I'd find all the pieces (only our stairs are carpeted so we rarely use it), but it would be the most thorough way to clean it.

The main thing is, I'm not cleaning it because it's dirty. It's not. It's pristine. The carpet looks brand new. No stains at all. My only worry is any germs on it that the previous cat owner may have left behind. I only want to kill the germs. The actual cat post doesn't really need to be cleaned at all. If I weren't worried about germs, Kashi would have had it last night without any cleaning at all, other than a bit of vacuuming at the base because that's the part that was on the ground and it has a bit of road debris on it. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 01:30 PM
    Post a picture of it? Is it sturdy enough to withstand an adult cat or even a kitten that jumps around on it or uses the scratching post without shaking or toppling the whole thing? Is there sisal (soft fibrous rope) or carpet on the scratching post?

Also, a two-foot or so length of carpet rolled up inside out wil give Kashi not only a tunnel to run through but also a scratching post (if the carpet backing is fibrous, not foam).
    Pets Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 01:51 PM
    It's definitely sturdy enough for an adult cat, and shouldn't topple over. When we brought it into the garage the dogs were all over it, sniffing every inch of it. Rascal had his entire head in the kitty cave, and it didn't topple over. Rascal is a big dog. Kashi, even when he's full grown, will be around the size of Rascals head.

So if the dogs can't knock it over, I doubt Kashi will be able to. :)

I'll post a picture later today.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 02:16 PM
    Check for sharp edges too, like exposed nail or screw heads. How tall is it?
    Pets Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 02:31 PM
    It's almost 4 feet tall. No sharp edges or exposed screws. Like I said, it's in excellent shape. :)
    Pets Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 02:47 PM
    Here's a picture. Excuse the mess, we're still renovating. This is the cat scratch post, and I haven't cleaned it yet, didn't even run a vacuum over it yet.
    Attached Images

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 04:54 PM
    How will Kashi get to the top? I wonder why someone threw it away. Their cat died and don't plan to get another. It's a very nice cat tree/condo, very sturdy looking.
    Pets Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 06:38 PM
    It's very easy to get to the top. He can either go up the scratch post, or the post that's attached at the back that I couldn't show in the picture. Kashi can climb up my leg to my shoulders, so I'm sure he can do it. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My previously smoochy cat doesn't like me anymore. [ 3 Answers ]

I have always been overly attached to my cats I've been told and sort of treated them like babies and also suffer from depression and bad health (I've always been home full time) so my life revolves around them - I have always been at home. My oldest cat got more and more clingy. Whe sitting he...

View more questions Search