Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sara2020 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2014, 07:35 PM
    Building camping sink, need advice
    My question is 2 fold, first I am wondering how sinks with foot pedals that turn on and off the water work, because they are below the faucet and I though water comes out from the faucet because of gravity. A example of what I am talking about is here: Hands Free, Foot Operated, Water Mixing, Single Pedal Control Valve Unimax Plumbing #PLMA-24 My second question is I am thinking about building a camping sink made from 5 gallon buckets, as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embBA1LASpA but it works with a foot pump that you have to pump constantly for any water to come out and it looks like not much comes out and it is very sporadic. I like the idea of shutting the water on and off with your feet (but not having to constantly pump it) so I am wondering if I mount the freshwater bucket on a table or hang it from a tree if gravity will make it so I don't have to pump the foot pedal, but just step on it like the foot pedal in the first link I posted. If that will work do I use the same foot pump they used or some different kind of foot valve, and what kind?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2014, 08:48 PM
    Unless you pressurize the water holding tank, you will have to use a foot operated pump faucet. In campgrounds, water pressure comes from their system. Notice in your picture that the sink has house water supply lines behind the pedestal. You can gravity feed the sink with any sink faucet, they make very small ones for campers.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 12:53 PM
    Gravity sink: Exactly as you said. Put one bucket higher, connect it to a dispenser (faucet) that sits lower than reservoir. Turn faucet ON and water flows like from regular faucet. The video clip is nice, but seems to me to be kind of complicated, especially when you have to haul it around. Your idea is what I would do.

Foot Activated faucet: Those we install in doctor's office a lot. Basically, the pedal is installed in combination with special angle stops. By stepping on the pedal, you open angle stop and water travels to the faucet.

Foot Activated mechanism, as shown in your link, cannot be used for the same application as shown in the YouTube clip as it works on completely different principle.

Let me know how you did

Milo

Jul 13, 2014, 09:24 PM
    Milo with the foot pump in the video, if I put the fresh water bucket up high, would I just need to step on the pump and hold it down to make the water flow or would I still have to pump it?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 13, 2014, 10:39 PM
    Gravity brings the water down. You don't pump it.

Jul 14, 2014, 12:46 AM
    Yes I know, so what kind of foot switch do I need to shut the water on and off, do they make some sort of foot activated ball valve?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2014, 12:50 PM
    I am not sure you can successfully achieve what you want under just gravity. The foot valve used in doctors offices, as shown in the picture, will work. However, the water pressure needs to be great enough to push the water through. By using a gravity system, you will not get enough head pressure to let it drop to the foot valve and then back up again unless you hang the bucket 10 ft. in the air! I just used an elevated bucket on a shelf and a 1/4 turn angle stop for a small faucet. Remember 5 gals. of water is 40# plus the bucket.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 14, 2014, 01:17 PM
    I did something like this to rig a shower while camping remotely! Wouldn't bother for washing up though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free plumbing advice - Kitchen sink blocked-up! [ 0 Answers ]

Emergency, please help! My kitchen sink is blocking-up and I CAN NOT understand where all the water is draining! I've tried; Drain unblocker, then taking out the u-bend pipe under the sink (clean), then I checked the pipe at the back of the washing machine (as I could hear the water glugging...

Sewage smell coming from kitchen sink, any advice? [ 1 Answers ]

L am in a lst floor flat and have a sewage smell coming from the kitchen sink plugholes and from the cupboard underneath. Have put bio-enzyme cleaner down but only temporary cure. Smell not there every day, about 4 or 5 times a month. L live very close to a tidal river and sometimes the smell is...

Advice on building custom gaming PC? [ 3 Answers ]

I am building my first custom gaming PC from scratch, and trying to learn more about what I should be putting inside it. I am mostly looking for help with the motherboard and graphics card, and also some advice on SSD memory. I am going for: 16GB DDR3 RAM, Corsair 1600MHz 2TB Hitachi...

Kitchen sink drain, I need advice [ 9 Answers ]

I am running a 2 inch PVC kitchen sink drain that will be approx 35 feet long. I will only be able to get about a 3-3 1/2 inch drop on that entire run. Will this work? The only other option for me is to tie this sink drain into my washing machine gray water that drains into a separate fill line. I...

View more questions Search