Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timentia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2014, 09:00 AM
    Change breaker
    I have a 15 amp breaker that occasionally flips off, especially when we have an iron and heat lamp on. Can I just replace that 15 amp with a 20 amp?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2014, 10:57 AM
    What is the wire size?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2014, 01:55 PM
    Unless you know what gauge the wire is, no. I will assume the wire is 14AWG which is rated at 15 AMPS. You have over that with and iron and a heat lamp. IF you can verify the wire is a 12AWG, you may replace the 15 with a 20. Try moving either one to another circuit to reduce the load.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change my a/c circuit breaker [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my circuit breaker shuts itself off automaticlly when I flip it to the on position this our a/c breaker and I see a blue spark from behind the breaker

Do I need to change my circuit breaker? [ 5 Answers ]

Thanks for your reply. I purchased a PTAC unit and nowhere in the owner's manual does it indicate amps required; however, on the plug it has 20Amps so I'm assuming that what it requires. My question is that the circuit breaker is 30 amps, do I need to change it to 20 amps or is the 30amp breaker...

Circuit breaker change with power on [ 1 Answers ]

If there is no Main Circuit Breaker to turn power off, how do you add a new circuit breaker in an electric service panel?

Change circuit breaker for part of house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I am looking for info on how to change the circuit breaker that runs the front end of my house; i.e.. Bedroom, livingroom and front garage. It is a little black box with a 15 on it :) please help. Never realized how dependent we are on our appliances until now How do I change the little...

Change Circuit Breaker or add a new one? [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 4 outdoor post lamps, each running 180 watts (720 watts total). I would like to connect the wiring to my existing switch attached to the existing patio light (100w). The circuit breaker (15 amp) currently installed is for the existing patio light, as well as many other lights...

View more questions Search