Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    egb664 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2014, 05:29 PM
    Can Human Resources make you use your vacation before you use your sick time?
    H.R said that I must use my sick days first, before I use my vacation time. Vacation doesn't roll over, but sick time does. My boss OK my vacation time off, and I happen to have shoulder surgery on my vacation. Now I'm being told by H.R you can't use vacation time for this. Which means I'm losing 9 days of vacation, because our new physical year starts July 1.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 11, 2014, 05:41 PM
    This is usually a matter of company policy, each company differs. Since this is a matter of surgery and not an actual vacation, it stands to reason you should be taking sick time.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2014, 06:44 PM
    First time I've heard of sick leave rolling over but not vacation time. Also the first time I've heard of a place that doesn't use the calender year on things like vacation and sick leave.

But as J_9 says... its all a matter of company policy.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2014, 11:31 AM
    Most everywhere I know of, you can't use sick leave because you just want a day off (if you get caught at it), so why would you expect to be allowed to use the vacation time instead of sick leave for surgery? The amount of sick leave carried over by employees is a liability for the company in your case and they are properly protecting their assets here. In addition, their policy encourages employees to use their vacation time which has been shown to cause higher productivity in most instances.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 12, 2014, 06:02 PM
    Where do you work, state and town? Do you have a contract?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between earned vacation time and vacation time on the books? [ 3 Answers ]

I get paid every two weeks. On my last pay stub my vacation hours totaled 39.91 hours. I have worked two additional weeks and have earned more 14 more hours but it will not be reflected on the "books" until the next payroll run. I am scheduled to take a week off next week and am being told that...

Ask human resources [ 2 Answers ]

What to do when a salaried employee who is on leave, works part-time.. what kind of pay are they supposed to receive? Can they receive a bonus instead?

Vacation Time and Sick Child [ 3 Answers ]

My son is supposed to go out of state via plane on Thursday morning for a family visit with my ex. I have approved this vacation and have no problem with him going. (It took me awhile to be okay with it, but I am.) My issue is that tonight I noticed my son wasn't acting normal and was just...

Hurt at work, Dr ordered no work, must I use up my sick & vacation time [ 4 Answers ]

When you are hurt at work must you use up your sick & vacation time.

Employer refusing to pay vacation/sick time benefits. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been a CEO for 7 yrs for this company who has started to fall on hard times because they are part of the auto industry platform. I obtained the position of COO after the CEO died and have been the Senior Director since. I carry no stock in this company. Recently the board decided to...

View more questions Search