Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryrhino Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2014, 07:48 PM
    New Desktop Computer Advice
    Wanting to buy a new desktop computer in the next month or so. Would like to spend as little as possible. Budget of $300-$500. Using computer to use internet, and other basic tasks. Don't need any bells and whistles. Would like computer to last hopefully at least 5 years or more.
    Any brands to avoid?
    What specs would you suggest?
    Which version of Windows? If I can find a computer with a version of Windows 7 which version is best?
    Which websites offer the best deals to buy computers?
    Would you suggest avoiding refurbished or would that be a good option?
    Thanks for the help. 
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2014, 05:03 AM
    I would go for an Intel i3 or AMD A4. Either should fit your budget and meet your requirements. You might be able to find a Win 7 machine cheaper, but if you want it to last go for Win 8.1. With your budget, you can't afford a touch screen, so you will want it to boot to the desktop.

I would be inclined to avoid refurbs. Amazon, Tiger and Newegg probably would have the best pricing if you want to order online.
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jul 11, 2014, 05:09 AM
    At your price point most new desktops are low end or from an unproven manufacture try looking at refurbished units and then get the biggest one you can in terms of processor, ram and HDD. As for Win7 Look for Win 7 Pro or the upper level of the home product. Linux may be an excellent option especially if you get a lower powered machine. Xubuntu 14.04 is an excellent choice if you are switching from Windows and it has a 5 year support cycle meaning it will be patched for five years from April 2014 or until April 2019.
    Not knowing what you need the computer makes me give more general answers.

Jul 11, 2014, 11:25 AM
    Do you think that this would be a good buy?

HP 110 Desktop PC, 110-023wb - Walmart.com

Jul 11, 2014, 11:33 AM
    Not really, it's a bargain processor. If you want your machine to last for several years, you should get a decent processor. That's why I wouldn't recommend anything less than an i3 or A4
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 11, 2014, 12:43 PM
    Another $50 gets you something more worth while.

HP Pavilion p7-1423W Tower with no monitor - Walmart.com

Jul 11, 2014, 01:21 PM
    Yep, I agree that is WAY more worthwile. Much more than just $50 worth.

Jul 11, 2014, 10:46 PM
    Which of these computers would be a better option?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-4gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/5859014.p?id=1219165153058&skuId=5859014&st=pcmcat 143400050013_categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=2

OR

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-desktop-amd-a4-series-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive/3418029.p?id=1219091217645&skuId=3418029&st=pcmcat 143400050013_categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=1
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 12, 2014, 01:38 AM
    The one I posted earlier is far superior to either of the best buy ones.

Jul 12, 2014, 06:17 AM
    Agreed. An i5 is equivalent to an AMD A10. I would definitely not go for anything less than an i3 (and anything without an I in the processor name is less). I misspoke earlier and the i3 is equivalent to an AMD A6 so that would be the bottom line.

Jul 12, 2014, 01:32 PM
    Should this one be considered? If I decide to buy this one should I buy the warranty? Should it be the 3 or 4 year?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-F3E10AA-ABA...productDetails

Jul 12, 2014, 01:52 PM
    Fro $300 that's not a bad deal, though its light on RAM. For $24 for 4 years the warranty is not bad.

Jul 14, 2014, 12:52 PM
    Which of these computers would be a better buy? Which one is faster?

Dell Optiplex Desktop Computer PC Dual 3 4 GHz 500GB 4GB Windows 7 | eBay

OR

HP 6005 Desktop PC, Black - Walmart.com

Jul 14, 2014, 01:00 PM
    Both of those are old, obsolete processors. Again, Anything less than an i3 or AMD 6 I would forget about.

Jul 15, 2014, 01:42 PM
    Mom is paying for the computer. She said to get a new computer not a refurbished one. Since she is paying for it I want to find the best computer for the least amount of money. Do you know of any cheaper than the ones listed?

Which of these would be the best one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...24%24%24%24%24

Jul 15, 2014, 07:19 PM
    Would any of these be just as good or better than the ones I listed before?

Dell Desktop Computers : Computers - Walmart.com

OR

Lenovo H530 57327459 Desktop PC Pentium G3240 (3.1GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Windows 8.1 64-bit - Newegg.com
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jul 16, 2014, 05:41 AM
    Refurbished is not always a bad thing in the computer world. Computers "refurbished" by the manufacture are warranty in some cases for longer terms than “new” units to make them more attractive to consumers. Some are opened boxes or shipped and nerve installed. Manufacture refurbished at your price point is the only real option to get a unit that has the length of service that you require. I would not consider units that are not Manufacture refurbished. Buying an outdated architecture to get a “New” unit may shorten your usable life dramatically depending on your current or future needs. For example you decide to begin working with video editing or you want to game. You need to be looking at an i5 or better processor of current or last generation at a clock speed of 3 Ghz or better, 8gb RAM and a 1TB drive though you could go with a smaller HDD.
    Check manufactures websites they have a wider selection than retailers. If you can wait a while check back a couple times a week the market for good refurbished units is tighter than that for new units.
    Again if you do not have a use critical need for Windows a Linux based computer can extend functional lifetime of a computer with a lower powered configuration.

Jul 16, 2014, 07:34 AM
    Manufacture refurbished at your price point is the only real option to get a unit that has the length of service that you require. ... Buying an outdated architecture to get a “New” unit may shorten your usable life dramatically
    I totally agree with the above recommendation.

Aug 2, 2014, 07:34 PM
    Which of these computers would you buy?

Lenovo H535 57324741 Desktop Computer With AMD A8 5500 Processor by Office Depot

Is the 2.0 GHz processor speed too slow?
    HP Pavilion 500 c60 Desktop Computer With AMD A6 Quad Core Accelerated Processor by Office Depot

HP Pavilion 500-281 Desktop PC | Make More Happen at Staples®

Dell Inspiron I660-3049BK Desktop PC | Make More Happen at Staples®

Dell Inspiron 3000 Desktop PC with Intel Core i3-4150 Processor, 4GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 8.1 (Monitor Not Included): Computers : Walmart.com

Do I need to be concerned with buying a computer with Windows 7 instead of Windows 8? Most people decided to upgrade their pcs if they had Windows XP. Don't want to get a PC with Windows 7 and need to upgrade in a year or 2 if support for Windows 7 stops.

I am open to other suggestions for pcs as well.

Which files/folders do I need to transfer to new PC? Is using a flash drive or external drive or cloud storeage easiest? Does it make a difference using drag/drop or copy/paste or is that the same?

Thanks for your time and help.

Aug 3, 2014, 05:33 AM
    I have an H535 though with a A10 and I'm happy with it. I would go with Win 8, but plan on booting to the desktop rather than the Start screen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Desktop on computer [ 3 Answers ]

How do I remove picture from desktop

Desktop computer won't turn on [ 2 Answers ]

I have a desktop computer that won't turn on. I push the power button but nothing happens.. It worked one day and the next day I went to turn it on and ntohing happened... What are something's I can do to see if I can get it working? I don't really know much about computer's so I have no idea...

Researching for a new desktop computer [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing my old HP desktop with a new unit. My current desktop is operating with Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002 Service Pack 3. I'm not sure it is a 32 bit or 64 bit but I assume being a 2002 model it is probably a 32 bit. If I buy a new PC with Windows 7, will I...

How to unlock desktop computer [ 1 Answers ]

How to unlock desktop

Shock from Desktop Computer [ 2 Answers ]

I have been getting small shocks from the case of my desktop computer,(especially the screws that hold the cover on). Where can I look to correct this problem? I have tried changing cords and plugs, and this does not seem to help, so I would guess that it has something to do with the computer...

View more questions Search