Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bryant Paul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2014, 11:03 AM
    Legal to search my emails
    Company did not assign me and e-mail address. I was using my own sign in to communicate with company on company network. That was fine. Another employee got my e-mail address and went into my personal e-mail without my approval. Information from my private e-mails, non company related were shared internally within the company. I was demoted and subsequently fired for the contents of my personal e-mails. Company admits to this conduct in writing. State is Hawaii. Parent company is in New York.

Thank you
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2014, 11:13 AM
    If this happened on a company owned computer on a company owned network... yes they can. Anything installed on that computer or that transpires on it is considered their business.

Your mistake was using a crappy password or giving it out to anyone... because all email accounts are password protected. How else would they have access to them.

Any emails sent to anyone in the company.. from or to a company computer are company property and considered company business because its assumed they happened on company time and don't require your permission, you agreed to it when you were hired and given access to the corporate network, and a company computer. Its in the fine print.

You were likely an AT-WILL employee... and they don't even need a reason to fire you or demote you... You didn't say how long you were employed there... but I'm assuming it was for a fairly short time.

So basically...there is no entitlement to privacy on a corporate owned computer...They also tracked every website you ever visited while on their network as well. So there might possibly be more to this than you ever knew.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 10, 2014, 11:19 AM
    Another employee got my e-mail address and went into my personal e-mail without my approval
    OP is unclear how this other employee managed to hack his/her personal e-mail. There might possibly be a claim against the ISP or e-mail host (such as Google or whomever) for violation of the TOS, but I doubt it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 11, 2014, 01:32 AM
    If the poster, merely left his email open. The error was using a personal email for company business. ( at best a new account needed to be made)

As a rule, they can look though information being accessed on company computers.

With that said, what was the "bad" things, you wrote that got you fired?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2014, 04:48 AM
    What a lot of people fail to realize is that the company network, is company property. ANYTHING done on the company network is subject to review by the company. So it is certainly legal for the company to view any e-mails sent using their network and Internet connection.

But there is an issue of how this other person got into your e-mail. A further explanation of that might give a different perspective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal search [ 0 Answers ]

Is the service@bestjobs-london agency is legal?do they have a licensed to operate in legal way?Who will be my contact person in this agency?What is there immigration licensed no.so I can check it?

Legal search [ 4 Answers ]

Can a police officer cut a lock off a fence fron a tip that a plane is going to land in a field carring pounds of marijauna there is a house 2000 feet away from the landing strp the field is fenced in and locked

What is legal in a search warrant [ 1 Answers ]

My brother in law is in a state prison in California I visit him once a month. His family isn't allowed to visit due to visitation rights, they have traffic fines etc or unpaid citations. I guess they record everything over the phone and apparently my hubby and his brother were talking on the...

View more questions Search