Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheNatureGirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2014, 03:06 PM
    Can this Doberman Pincher still be trained?
    My family might be adopting a 1 year old Doberman named Duke. He is very gentle with the babies (who absolutely love him) and he is energetic and playful. He was never trained before. Only to refresh himself outside. I'm not sure how we can train him… are there any experienced trainers, breeders or doberman owners that can give any suggestions ASAP? Thanks!
    TheNatureGirl
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 9, 2014, 03:23 PM
    At one year, he is his own person. He will be happy to work with you, but you will have to work to communicate what you need him to do. There are many methodologies for training adult dogs and they will all work with Duke. The only secret is to be consistent and work with him constantly. From Duke's perspective, training sessions should be about fifteen minutes on old stuff then one new idea then fifteen more on old plus new, three times a day. Let him run in between times. Don't worry about overloading him, he WILL wear you out.

Jul 9, 2014, 03:34 PM
    Thanks catsmine. We wanted to teach him to sit, lay down, jump up, and how to play with toys since he is a little flinchy. I'm assuming his previous life was very loud and crazy, or maybe the other dogs in the shelter just bark too loud (he is very quiet).
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2014, 04:00 PM
    This is from the Dogs forum sticky on training your new dog --

Sit.

Some dogs will learn ot sit almost immediately, others take a little more encouragement.
    Take a small piece of your dogs favourite treat or use a toy.
    Hold the treat above the dogs head and move it over them while saying the command "sit"
    This will make the dog look up and backwards at the treat and many will naturally sit down.
    As soon as they sit down give them the treat and lots of praise.

For dogs that will not sit just by doing this you can place your hand on their back just in front of their tail and gently push down while holding the food over their head.

Drop.

First teach your dog the 'sit' command.
    Once they are in the sitting position, slowly lower the treat down to the ground just in front of the dog while saying the command "drop".
    Most dogs will lower their head and the front legs will follow.

For dogs that do not drop straight away try moving the food away from their nose on the floor so they have to stretch after it.

Stay.

Tell your dog to sit while standing right in front of them.
    Hold out your hand in a 'stop motion' and take one step backward while saying the command "stay"
    Hold this for 5 seconds and then give the dog a treat and praise.

Next repeat the first step but then take 2 steps backwards.
    Hold for 5 seconds and then praise.

Eventually you should be able to work up to moving far away from the dog before giving them their treat and praise.

If your dog breaks the "stay" then go back and start again.

Come.

First teach your dog the 'stay' command.
    Attach a long leash to your dogs collar (or a lightweight rope if you do not have a long enough leash) then tell them to stay and walk backwards away from them while letting the leash out.

Once you are a good few steps away from them say the commad "come" and gently tug on the lead, telling them that you want them to come towards you.
    Once your dog reaches you give a treat and praise.

Shake hands.

Once they are sitting gently take your dogs paw in your hand and lift it up while saying the command "shake"
    Let the dogs paw go and praise them, withhold treats until they do it on their own.

With a bit (a lot in my case) of practice some dogs will learn to lift their paw on their own into your hand.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 9, 2014, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureGirl View Post
    We wanted to teach him to sit, lay down, jump up, and how to play with toys
    If he's from a shelter, it make take awhile to work up to the schedule I outlined. You will find megabytes of material on the "treats" method of training, such as Wondergirl's post. Skittish dogs respond well to it.

First and foremost, give him all the cuddle time you can to get him over whatever bad experiences he has had. Socializing an animal bred to win when confronted by groups of bandits is paramount.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 9, 2014, 04:07 PM
    he is a little flinchy
    My concern is that he is flinchy and in a shelter. Is it possible he was abused? If so, the training may take a back seat to teaching him he is in a safe home.

Jul 9, 2014, 04:41 PM
    Thanks for the mini lesson Wondergirl! Really helpful. And catsmine, I will definitely show him how lovely our family and house is. J_9, it may be possible that he was abused in his past home. The shelter workers aren't sure yet because he was just transferred from another shelter. Thanks to all who responded😊really appreciate it!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 9, 2014, 04:43 PM
    Since he is a shelter dog he will need to be socialized before beginning to train him. He will need to know that he can trust you. Trust will be your first step in training. If he was abused this can take some time, so be patient.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 1, 2014, 05:23 PM
    I'm a bit worried. After reading your recent post about adopting a kitten, and your worry that you wouldn't be able to afford just a basic checkup for the kitten, I'm wondering why you're adopting any animals at this time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doberman food? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the dober man food

Septum should I get claw/talon/pincher? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on buy a set of pincher tapers off eBay 14g-0g and I wanted to know if you can flip them up into your nose so you can't see it? Like these http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/1guyver2/ff_2.jpg

My DOBERMAN is not eating at all [ 5 Answers ]

My doberman is 1 and half month old, since I got him he is not eating at all, I give him forcefully. And every time he is having loose motion. Sometimes he is active but most of the time he sleeps, and I find him depressed sometimes. He took deworming 5 days back, again he's has to take it after...

Doberman not eating. [ 8 Answers ]

This is my second Doberman puppy, with symptoms like the first one in which I had to put her to sleep, she has runny stools and stopped eating. She is 14 weeks old the vet has given me the same medicine as the first puppy all test are negative just like my first puppy. I also have a Boston terrier...

What should I feed my Doberman [ 3 Answers ]

I just adopted a 1 year old female Doberman. She is the most wonderful dog. I am concerned because she is not eating well and losing weight. I would like to know what is the proper nutrition and maybe get some receipes for her. Thanks Kimber

View more questions Search