Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragonfli488 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Car accident
    I was in a accident where I was backing out of a parking spot. When I shifted to first my vehicle was jarred forward. I looked in my rearview mirror and the reverse lights were on on the other vehivle. I got out and assesed the damage none to my car and a slight dent in the other. I asked if they wanted to make a report and they said no. I gave them my info and went on my way. They are now saying that it is my fault and that I own 1600 for the damage. I am still unclear as to who was at fault that is why we decided not to make a report. If there was no report, no witnesses and no proof of who was at fault who would be liable? Please advise thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 06:18 PM
    If your vechile had not moved, it would be theirs, if you actually moved including rolling backward, then it would be equal fault normlly.

Actually two people backing into each other is very common.

But proving you were not moving is gong to be an issue, esp since you did not get a police report to show position of the vechiles exactly at point of contact.

So just deny any blame and turn it over to your insurance and let them worry about it.
    tombb25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Apr 17, 2007, 07:11 AM
    What Fr_Chuck said is true, if you are not at fault, make sure your insurance understands that you really believe you aren't at fault for the loss. They should deny it and just fix your vehicle (minus your collision deductible). They will then subrogate to get the money back. It may go to what's called arbitration, this is where your insurance company and another will submit their evidence and arguments whey they are not at fault and why the other party is. The arbitration board will then make the decision who is at fault.

There is also a good chance it will be decided 50/50 which happens a lot in parking lot accidents. Main thing is just turn it over to your insurance and let them handle it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident [ 11 Answers ]

I live Missouri. I was in a accident it was not my fault! I was making a left trun and the lady cross the two yollow lines and hit me in my left rear trie, slid into my cab. I have a ford ranger. I did not have insurance. Now the insurance is calling me saying I'm at fault because I did not...

Car accident [ 4 Answers ]

I was in a car accident, it wasn't big the driver behind me rear ended me, there was no damage to my car or hers, and we did not exchange insurance or did not call police. We just exchanged phone numbers. But, now I want to know if she can go against me.

Car accident while friend is in the car [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question about what the case would be if I got into a car accident, mine or another drivers fault, with a friend in the car that is mine but in my Mother's name. I have been reading a little bit into insurance, I think I understand how it would work and come into play a little bit. What...

Car Accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car wreck with a drunk driver going the wrong way down a highway. Luckily no one was hurt. My car was totaled in this wreck and I am not sure about how much I should get back. The insurance company said that they would pay me a book price on my car plus what ever was left to pay the...

Car accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car accident about a week ago.. Both cars have been ridden off. The other car was speeding and spun my car about . I have been to hospital for spinal checks.. And have been having muscle spasming and panic attacks thinking I was going paralyzed when I felt tingling in my feet. I have...

View more questions Search