Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2014, 12:30 PM
    Offer to purchase
    We're going through the process of buying a used trailer. Only obstacle is that it's in a town 3 hours away from us, so everything has to be done on the phone, or via email.

We're trying to get financing set up before we go, so it's not a wasted trip.

The dealership has asked that we put in an offer to purchase. I have no idea how to do that. Any tips?

I was thinking something along these lines, since I can't find anything online about this.

We are offering to purchase the 2009 27' trailer (details attached) for the asking price on these conditions.

Financing and inspection of the trailer. If it does not meet our needs after viewing it, this offer will be rescinded.

Does that sound okay? It seems a bit short to me, and I want to know if there's anything I should add, just to cover our butts in case it doesn't work out.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 9, 2014, 01:01 PM
    Sounds kind of odd. I have no idea what an offer to purchase would be. It seems more like something you would do if you had seen it alreadu...kind of like putting a deposit down on it. Maybe call them and clear up why and what for and such.

For financing I have had people come to me with pre-approved lending papers from banks. They went to the bank and told them what they were planning to buy and for how much.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 9, 2014, 01:14 PM
    Odinn, we just bought a used car, and when we went in, before applying for financing, we signed a document that was basically akin to an offer to purchase.

The used car guy was great. He explained that they do this because it can take many man hours to get the financing in place, get it all set up, and sadly, there are people that come in, ask for financing, and after the dealer has spent 7 plus hours getting it done, they back out.

So from what I understand, an offer to purchase just means you're serious about getting the vehicle, in this case trailer. It's not really a legal document. If financing goes through and you change your mind, it's fine, you can back out. But it makes it easier for the employee to warrant spending a full day getting what you need.

If that makes sense.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2014, 01:20 PM
    Alty... not sure if this is a Canadian thing or not; I haven't heard of it before, but here is a sample of an Offer to Purchase for a home... I imagine it is the same idea and similar to what you have written with perhaps some more detail. As odinn said, call and ask for more information on what it entails. Definitely ask about any legal responsibility you might have with such a document and how to cover yourself.

*Ahhh, just saw your response......yes, I've done that with a vehicle before as you mentioned.....basically shows that you are serious enough for them to proceed beyond the basics. I just never heard of a name being given to it.

http://comfree.com/buy/documents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting Entries for purchase & sales return and credit purchase & sales with examp [ 10 Answers ]

Accounting Entries for purchase & sales return and credit purchase & sales with examples

Am I getting an offer [ 1 Answers ]

A little over a month ago I had an interview for a government job. They told me at the time that they would be doing reference checks on the top 3 candidates. 2 weeks later I had a call from their HR telling me that I was second in the competition and that the top candidate had accepted. But the...

What is entry for sales accounted in purchase & purchase in sales [ 1 Answers ]

I want journal entries for the above questions

Got the Offer from IT company [ 3 Answers ]

I have been offered 65000USD by an US IT company.Is it a decent amount?

Settlement offer [ 7 Answers ]

About six months ago my daughter was rear ended at a stop light, her car was totaled. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital with back pain prescribed pain meds. And released. She saw a chiropractor for a month after but discontinued because they wanted payment up front and she could not...

View more questions Search