Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daddyisbest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2014, 09:33 AM
    Can my adult step daughter hypenate my name with hers?
    My step daughter is 23 years old and has asked if she can legally hyphenate her last name to include mine. (I am married to her mother). Her biological father has not been in her life for several years, but she does carry his last name. She has no plans of getting married and if she does, she will keep her hyphenated name as a prefix to her newly married name. Since she is over 18 years old, do we still need consent from her father? Also, how would we go about making this change legally?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2014, 09:54 AM
    Personally I think it's a bad idea... and its going to create a huge amount of problems in the future... from SSI, to bank accounts to drivers licenses... if she ever tries to get a passport or security clearance... and there are other things that probibly didn't even come to mind while I was writing this...including even getting on an airplane.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 9, 2014, 10:01 AM
    No consent is needed. But to make this a legal change, she has to go to court.

On the other hand, she can use whatever name she wants (as long as there is no attempt to defraud) wherever a legal name is not required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problems with adult step daughter. [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a married stepdaughter who will call him for everything. She is totally helpless even though she is married to a man who makes a lot of money. He took a picture of her while she was sleeping during one of his "visits", is this weird or am I being a jealous girlfriend?

I am jealous of my adult step kids [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot help it but I am beside myself with jealousy with my two adult step daughters and their children I am fine with my step son . I also have adult children of my own and three beautiful grandchildren whom I adore my husband is a lovely man to soft for his own good. They ( his daughters)...

My step daughter mother lost rights to her and grandmother took over rights of step.. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok my step daughters mother got her rights taken away from her and her grandmother took over my step daughter the grandmother recently passed away and me and husband moved back to Michigan to take care of her. Her mother took her and won't let us see her. What rights do the mother have and what can...

My adult daughter [ 8 Answers ]

My adult daughter is very upset with her family and me because we've been suggesting that she needs to find employment with benefits. She has quit every job she ever had and quit her last job about 6 months ago. She is not looking for work and has no medical insurance. She is very angry that I or...

View more questions Search