Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    l99057j Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Apr 5, 2007, 04:18 PM
    Wiring two switches, two fixtures
    I'm nearly finished with a remodeling project and I'm having trouble getting an answer to what I thought would be a simple wiring question.

I want to have two light switches in the new bathroom. One will control the main light, the other will turn on the light/vent above the shower. This is on a dedicated circuit with a GCFI 15A breaker. My handy-dandy book of common wiring diagrams doesn't show the best way to power both switches from one feed. I think I must be Googling the wrong words because everything comes up with 3-way switches.
    l99057j Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Apr 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Wow, no response here either. Is this more difficult than I'm perceiving it, it seems like it has been tough to find an answer. Is there is an alternative method for doing this that I should be looking into? The lack of a reply here and the lack of info from my Google searches makes me wonder if I'm trying to do something that isn't recommended.

Thanks!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Maybe your post was just overlooked, because it's pretty easy if I understand correctly.

Run the hot lead from the breaker to one terminal on each switch. Wire the hot lead from the main light to the remaining terminal on it's switch, the hot lead from the light/fan to the remaining terminal on it's switch. Run the neutral from both lights to connect to the neutral from the supply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Leviton 3 way motion sensor switches [ 17 Answers ]

Have done a search and found another post with the same question, but no info on the reslution of the problem. I put in a stairwell to the basement with a landing and 90 deg turn. I have installed a light fixture above the landing to light the stair well and want to control it with motion...

Wiring 3 switches, each controlling a separate light [ 8 Answers ]

Where can I find a diagram to show how to wire 3 switches in the same box, each controlling a different light? Thanks. David

Sockets and fixtures [ 1 Answers ]

Hello how many sockets and light fixtures can you run off one breaker I want to install a plug socket and light fixture in a basement room I just finished can I just tap into the light fixture in the other room?

Wiring 3 way motion sensor switches [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I have 2 3-way motion sensor switches I want to install in my garage. There currently are two 3-way switches on different walls. The setup is different from another thread I was reading on this site.. . In my case the power (2 wire w/ground) goes to the light, and each of the switches...

Wiring for multiple light switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have three light switches that control one light fixture. In the past, they all turned the light of and on independently. But recently it depends on where you turn if off. In some cases, it won't turn on at another switch. Someone told me it was the wiring or the switches. Nobody has changed...

View more questions Search