Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bobby Saini Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2014, 05:38 PM
    My day is a green card holder and he when out of us 3 years can he still enter us
    My dad is a green card holder and he when out of the us more then 3 years now due to medical reason. Can he still enter us now or what we need to do to bring him here.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2014, 06:39 PM
    Nope... The US Government will cancel his Green card after he is out for a year... he will have to reapply for a new one.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 5, 2014, 06:44 PM
    A bit more info may be good. Where is "here"? In other words, where are you living (not your address, just country, and your general area in that country such as your province, state, etc).

Where has your father been living for the last 3 years?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jul 5, 2014, 10:29 PM
    If he can show that not returning within 1 year was due to circumstances outside his control, he may be able to get an SB-1 returning resident visa from a U.S. consulate.

Or, he can just board a flight to the U.S. and there's a chance that they'll let him in and just give him a warning.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 12:23 PM
    See, I read the post differently. Didn't catch on that they're in the us because of the way the post was written.

"My dad is a green card holder and he when out of the us more then 3 years now due to medical reason."
    I read this as "My dad is a green card holder and he went out on us more than 3 years now due to medical reasons"

Reading it again, I'm thinking newacct got the translation right. :)
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 9, 2014, 11:00 PM
    "....Or, he can just board a flight to the U.S. and there's a chance that they'll let him in and just give him a warning......"

Not recommend... a woman left US for the first time after 12 years to visit her parents. She returned on the 11th month, and immigration officer at LAX gave her a hard time before letting her in.

If he is outside US, file SB-1 visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend is a green card holder for almost 2 years and living in Arizona [ 0 Answers ]

Im living here in the philippines, what is the easiest way for him to get me so we can be together in the US?

Can green card holder return to usa after 4 years [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is 82 years old and she is a Green Card Holder. She left USA for India 4 years ago to be with her daughter but now the situation has change and she wants to return to her son in USA and the Green Card is still valid can she reutrn to USA or does she need to file any new forms

I am G-4 visa holder for 11 years. When can I apply for a Green card? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband works for the World Bank in DC. We have G-4 visa. Can we apply for a Green Card and when? Thak you.

I am a green card holder and have been living in the US for 13 years - three years ag [ 21 Answers ]

I am a green card holder and have been living in the US for 13 years - three years ago I have purchased a house in Poland for which I borrowed money from my father in Poland (he is Polish citizen only, not US resident in any manner). I have sold this house last year and I have reported capital gain...

Over stay of a green card holder outside US for almost seven years [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I need to ask you that I was issued a US green card on 18th dec 2001 and the card will expire on 2nd January 2012.The problem is that US immigration law states that a green card holder can stay abroad for six months or less than a year and should return back to USA within six months.But...

View more questions Search