Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2014, 07:18 AM
    I think someone is blowing a whole lot of smoke here
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 07:47 AM
    blowing a whole lot of smoke
    Yes, the University president.

University of South Carolina president Harris Pastides is refusing to comply with a state law that requires all public universities to teach students about America’s founding documents, including the Constitution, calling it “archaic.” In a bit of irony that is apparently lost on Pastides, USC claims the state law is itself unconstitutional.
    University President Calls Law Requiring Study of Constitution ‘Archaic’
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 08:36 AM
    Then the SC legislature has to make its case that he is NOT following the law (the way they want*). What do they want, a required course? That's a bit unclear from the source allegations from the conservative legislature.

*From your original link,

USC doesn’t want to teach the Constitution, despite state law | The Daily Caller

Broggi is running for president of The USC's student government, and stressed that he would press the administration to follow the law if elected to office. It is important for students to have a rudimentary understanding of the U.S.'s founding laws so that they will know if their rights are being violated by the government, he said.
    Is the issue formal classes promoting a conservative view of the constitution? Sure it is as both of your sources said so. We have this fight in Texas every few years also.

Tea Party Groups In Tennessee Demand Textbooks Overlook U.S. Founder's Slave-Owning History

The latest push comes a year after the Texas Board of Education approved revisions to its social studies curriculum that would put a conservative twist on history through revised textbooks and teaching standards.
    The Texas revisions include the exploration of the positive aspects of American slavery, lifting the stature of Jefferson S. Davis to that of Abraham Lincoln, and amendments to teach the value of the separation of church and state were voted down by the conservative cadre. Among other controversial amendments that have been approved is the study of the "unintended consequences" of affirmative action.
    The board approved more than 100 amendments affecting social studies, economics and history classes for Texas's 4.8 million students.
    The influence of the amended textbooks will likely reach far beyond the state of Texas. The state is one of the largest purchasers of textbooks, and many other states adopt Texas's books and standards.
    The curriculum changes were pushed through by a majority bloc of conservative Republicans on the Texas school board, who have said the changes were made to add balance to what they believe was a left-leaning and already-skewed reflection of American history.
    "There is some method to the madness besides vindicating white privilege and making white students feel as though they are superior and privileged and that that it is the natural order of things," Gary Bledsoe, president of the Texas State NAACP, told The Crisis magazine last year about this time. "The agenda being pushed and the ultimate impact intended is to make young people automatically identify with one political party."
    A number of groups, including the NAACP, the Texas League of United Latin American Citizens and the Texas Association of Black Personnel in Higher Education have joined forces to beat back the measures, which they said would have a negative impact on minority children... "They voted down a motion that requires students to be taught about the terrorism brought about by the Ku Klux Klan and what they did to ethnic and racial minorities, but they turn around and pass a provision that requires the teaching of the violence of the Black Panther Party."
    The conservative bandwagon has reached SC.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2014, 08:06 AM
    What's wrong with the conservative bandwagon? Is it because we like our rights as envisioned by the founders and enumerated in the constitution?

Attachment 46245
    Expert

Jul 7, 2014, 08:15 AM
    I can get with your rights, but they aren't the only rights that's liked by the citizens nor is the conservative band wagon the only one that people want to get on. Conservatives aren't the only ones with rights you know. Nor is it the view of everyone.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2014, 08:42 AM
    Tal, we are not the ones denying your rights and creating new, special interest rights like free birth control. We are the ones PROTECTING your rights, not trying to silence speech you don’t like, spying on and intimidating the media, trying to take away your gun and your religious rights – all specifically enumerated. Your side is at war with those rights. You’re welcome for us standing up for them.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2014, 08:37 PM
    I think someone is still blowing a lot of smoke
    Expert

Jul 7, 2014, 08:48 PM
    Well said by the guys who stand up for enumerated rights and stand by and do nothing when innocents, and kids get slaughtered in their classroom, and a movie, or a pizza house, or a church. Thanks for defending everyone's rights to be victim of a loony with a gun.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2014, 11:53 PM
    but that is eveyone's right courtesy of the second amendment by which noone is safe, you don't have the right to safety becuase noone thought you needed it. Now Tom is going to tell us that if you think you need it all you have to do is amend the constitution
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Jul 10, 2014, 02:12 AM
    I googled it. Apparently the last amendment is the 27th. It took 202 years to ratify. I think Tom is pretty safe.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2014, 02:52 AM
    No tom is no more safe than anyoneelse, someone can stick a gun in his ear anyday
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 10, 2014, 03:01 AM
    Well said by the guys who stand up for enumerated rights and stand by and do nothing when innocents, and kids get slaughtered in their classroom, and a movie, or a pizza house, or a church. Thanks for defending everyone's rights to be victim of a loony with a gun.
    Thank YOU so very much for supporting those who forced us to stand around unarmed in classrooms, movie theatres, pizza houses, and churches. Your defense of everyone's right to be a victim of Neo-feudalists' programs to drug students has been wildly successful. It wasn't a total success, or the body count would be higher.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2014, 05:08 AM
    Why are americans so angry and violent as to gun down people in classrooms, movie theatres, pizza houses, and churches?
    Expert

Jul 10, 2014, 05:27 AM
    NK, those are CRAZY people who can get their hand on guns easily, and LEGALLY, but some nuts get them because they are available to them. Crazy doesn't mean dumb, just potentially dangerous. Criminals get them easily, and don't care about the legal.

Then you have the gun NUTS who trust NO ONE and are so paranoid they sacrifice safety and common sense for THEIR rights. Then you have the 90% of Americans who have common sense but no clout or money to fight the right wing extremists who are paranoid... and LOUD.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2014, 05:46 AM
    you don't have the right to safety
    What Tom will say is that you have a right to self defense. What Tom often says is that when seconds count ;the police are minutes away.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2014, 05:54 AM
    I googled it. Apparently the last amendment is the 27th. It took 202 years to ratify.
    The 27th was ratified in 1992 and it addressed Congressional pay . Yeah it took some time to build momentum before passing . That just means it took time to build a consensus for the need . The 26th ;which changed the voting age ,took 4 months to pass from conception.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2014, 06:00 AM
    Les Racines de vie Montessori April 5 ,2003 ,York University March 6,2014 ,École Polytechnique Dec 6 ,1989 ,Concordia U Aug 24,1992 ....Why are canadians so angry and violent as to gun down people in classrooms ?
    Expert

Jul 10, 2014, 06:04 AM
    I agree fully with that statement Tom, but have a problem with a gun owner having the right to kill if he FEELS threatened. Too many loopholes for my sensibility, and who needs a 30 round clip for a semi automatic rifle? Hunters surely don't. Got no problems with the firing range though.

Blind people? You surely border on insanity with that one. As with a doctor verifying a potential dangerous situation when he prescribes certain medications.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2014, 06:04 AM
    Why are americans so angry and violent as to gun down people in classrooms, movie theatres, pizza houses, and churches?
    Those aren't Americans... those are Liberals that do that MOST of the time.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2014, 06:06 AM
    We aren't so scared that we need to arm the whole populace in order to protect ourselves. The number and scale of our events pale in comparison to yours which are now a weekly occurrence. Why are their so many "crazy" people with guns?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

"plumber grade" vs "big box" vs "online" fixtures... [ 5 Answers ]

I have heard/read that there is a difference in the part quality, etc when purchasing faucets and plumbing parts from a showroom vs big box retailers vs online. Even if they are the same manufacturer part number? Are the big box and online parts less durable/made of cheaper components that the...

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search