Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingturner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2014, 10:28 AM
    Sensitive medical info sent via mailby hospital. HIPPA?
    Hospital mailed an letter containing very sensitive health info. /diagnosis.USPS miss delivered the letter. My neighbor opened it with his other mail that day and realized that it belonged to me. He promptly brought it over. The information was compromised. Did the hospital violate HIPPA?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2014, 10:39 AM
    No it didn't violate HIPAA. How would you have expected it be delivered... personal Courrier? In which case it could still be misdelivered. Information is routinely sent in the mail every day. None of it is addressed to "Resident".
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 3, 2014, 11:32 AM
    It's HIPAA, by the way.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2014, 02:22 PM
    I have had plenty of mail that wasn't mine delivered to me at home and at work. Certainly never opened any of them.
    I may be wrong but I have serious doubts that a letter from a hospital would be opened by mistake.
    But even in the unlikely even that it was a mistake, the healthcare entity had no control over or responsibility for the error or divulging of protected information
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 3, 2014, 02:51 PM
    Your complaint is with your local PO. Do complain. They keep track of everything - misdeliveries, thefts, lost mail, etc, so that they can look for patterns by both neighborhood and who the carrier was that day.

As for suing - so close to zero as to be zero.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My employer and the hospital breached my hippa privacey [ 3 Answers ]

My Employer contacted my surgons office and obtained a release to return to work full dutie with out me seeing the doctor. The hospital employee gave a letter to my co worker in an unsealed envelope and she gave it to me the next morning when I was told to retern to work. All of this was done with...

I shared some hippa info with a co-worker and she is trying to use it against me [ 4 Answers ]

I shared some personal hippa info with a colleague - we had shared personal info many times in the past, but I asked that this info remain confidential. A short time later, I was approached by another co-worker who stated that she had heard from my colleague about my procedure (although it was...

Mental Harm using HIPPA info [ 3 Answers ]

I dated my primary care physician. After we broke up he sent me 4 emails with personal attacks using the health information he knows to hurt me. In his emails he writes things like: "Nobody loves you, I don't care if you alive or not, I am dating a person who has no physical problems such as yours:...

Saying that someone is in the hospital is not a hippa violation? [ 13 Answers ]

I was recently fired from a home health agency for seniors for supposedly violating a hippaa law. As I was introducing a caregiver to a client, I ask her if her former client was in the hospital. All I said was "is Ms. Johnson in the hospital"?? I was turned in by this caregiver and fired over...

Is it a HIPPA violation for a person to have home access to a hospital computer? [ 9 Answers ]

Management is monitoring workflow of off shifts from home computers, which gives them access to patients information such as,insurance,diagnosis,treatment, etc,

View more questions Search