Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jchoo Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Jul 2, 2014, 10:15 PM
    Main Breaker Trip
    Can a 240V item trip the main breaker and not trip it's own breaker? I've got a 240V industrial fan connected to a separate breaker in my 100A panel.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2014, 04:00 AM
    if both breakers are in good condition then it should not happen. if one or both is not then yes, anything is possible...
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2014, 02:59 PM
    If the 240V item is the cause of the main tripping (let's say, due to a short circuit in the fan), I agree with hfcarson. But how do you know that the load of the fan was not just the straw that broke the camel's bank? For example, if all your other loads operating and drawing current before operating the fan was let's say 85 amps, and you turned on the fan and it was using 35 amps (total 120 amp load on 100 amp main) the main could trip even though no individual breaker capacity was exceeded. Maybe I am missing something- help me out.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 3, 2014, 06:39 PM
    Just to level set your question.

The voltage required for the fan is basically irrelevant. The issue is the amperage needed (aka "load") needed.

But there are other considerations which may have to be considered, particularly the "start-up or in-rush" amperage needed to get the fan's motor running.

By the way, what is the amperage required by the fan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to compute size of main feeder line & main breaker? [ 1 Answers ]

Panel board 1(single phase) - total wattage=17,000w @ 230V - has 2.5Hp ACU (largest motor) Please. Solve for.: 1. size of main feeder line 2. main breaker Panel board 2(3phase) - total wattage=10000w @ 230V

1 breaker causing another breaker to trip when I reset! What is This about? [ 5 Answers ]

I reset a breaker and it immediately trips its self and another breaker... this never happened before... if I reset 1 its OK but when I reset the other breaker they both trip... and these are 2 separate circuits... the 2 breakers are not even next to each other in the panel

Circuit breaker trip after install of GFCI breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I'm replacing an outlet under kitchen sink that garbage disposer and dish washer were plugged into because they stopped working. The old outlet was not GFCI. So I'm attempting to replace it with one. Our home was built in the '50s and has no ground line yet. I used an extension cord to plug them...

Can I convert a main breaker Cutler Hammer loadcenter to main lug? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if Cutler Hammer made a part to convert a main breaker load center (CH) style, to a main lug panel. If so, does anyone know the part number or can you refer me to a location where I could find it? Cutler Hammer's website is not too user friendly. Thanks

View more questions Search