Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rman33 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2014, 04:38 PM
    Gigabyte motherboard questions
    In my latest computer build I have a Gigabyte B85M-D3V with an Intel
    i3 G3220 CPU. It worked for a while but not when I turn it on both the
    CPU fan and power supply fan will run for about 2 seconds and then stop.
    I am testing this outside the case now with only CPU and memory installed.
    I have tried a different power supply so I know it has to be either the CPU or
    Motherboard that is bad.
    When I take out the CPU and turn it on the power supply fan will run for about 2
    Seconds and stop. Is this normal for a Gigabyte board or does it mean the
    Board is shorted?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2014, 09:50 AM
    For many boards it is normal to turn on full blast for a second or two then shut down until it recieves instructions to do more. Most fans are triggered by heat. If there is no heat then the fan can be slowed down or shut down. This is how they conserve energy and get the "green" sticker. Have you put everything together and run any tests within a OS? That is what is going to tell you what is going on and if your having overheating issues.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2014, 07:51 PM
    Most likely it is a motherboard issue. RAM Issues will cause corruption of running applications/OS's or the machine to run and do nothing. CPU Can be similar, however usually causes exactly as you describe. CPU's however rarely fail except in excessive overheating or manufactures defects. You should also inspect it for physical damages. Most common, a computer will behave as you describe when a CPU is not compatible, which you can check here, or the board is damaged. The two most common damages to these types of boards are capacitor failure (Swollen or bulging capacitors) or GPU fractured solder points. There are some other less common causes, but I would start investigating with compatibility, RAM failure, and board issues.

Jul 6, 2014, 02:14 PM
    Thanks for replies.
    This board worked long enough for me to install windows 8.1 on my SSD so I know the CPU and ram are compatible.
    It has changed a little from my first post. Now when I turn it on the fans on both the CPU and PSU do not move UNLESS I have the 8 pin 12 volt ATX connector removed and then I have the 2 second shutdown cycle as before.
    I could send the CPU back for warranty replacement if I knew for certain it was bad but what I am wondering is if the motherboard is bad could it ruin the CPU?
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 03:12 PM
    Are your voltages correct and do you know what tempratures your running at ?
    Are you running the system OC? (OverClocked)

Jul 6, 2014, 03:52 PM
    If you mean voltages coming from the power supply, I assume they are correct since I have tried 2 different power supplies with the same result
    As for temperature, it could not be measured because the psu does not run long enough to turn anything on. I have never overclocked.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 05:53 PM
    No not voltages from the powersupply. The ones for your cpu and memory. You need to make sure your bio's are configured correctly.

Jul 6, 2014, 09:24 PM
    I would not be able to test voltages on the board and I could not fix anything on the board anyway.
    I am mainly interested in trying to determine whether the board is bad or the cpu is bad. Maybe I could get a new board but if the CPU is bad would it ruin the new board?
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jul 9, 2014, 08:00 AM
    Since this is your build I would pull the motherboard, set it on some cardboard or something, and try it out of the case (be careful if you have a video card). Many motherboards are designed with the same basic PC board used for multiple versions and functions (one has on board video another has not). Since the same board is used for multiple designs sometimes a mounting hole is necessary (ground) on one but not the other. A quick way to check is if the hole has solder around it its meant as a ground, if not you should not put a stand off there it can cause a short. This has happened to me before. Another place to look for shorts is the back plate. When you slide the mobo into place the back plate has a few spring like things to help you position the board correctly. If one of those springs gets inside of a usb port or any other port it can also short. You can usually check that with a flashlight and peek in each port. This also happened to me on one of my first builds. Since then I often pay close attention to them and sometimes lift them up to get them on top of the port metal box where they belong. Since the motherboard and power supply feed the cpu, and the cpu feeds nothing, it cannot harm the later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gigabyte H61m-DS@ boots into empty uefi screen, Display "Gigabyte UEFI DualBios [ 1 Answers ]

Gigabyte H61m-DS2 Revision 3.0 with UEFI F3 Intel core i3 3220 processor 1 4GB DDR3 Hyper X Kingston Iballl SMPS 250 Watts My problem is that most of the time when I turn on my computer, it goes through proper Shutdown: When I start it Fans will start, lights will turn on, and it will boot...

Msi to gigabyte [ 5 Answers ]

I went today to buy the pieces of my PC.. but I was shocked about the price of the Mobo.. the gigabyte z77-d3h was for 350$.. So I am now thinking of taking An MSI Mobo(which its price is more reasonable).. My question is that How do you compare the MSI brand with the gigabyte one.. Is it the same...

Is Gigabyte Motherboard Defective ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have installed a Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, an Intel E6750 Dual Core 2 CPU. GeForce 8600 GT and 3G Memory. The problem is that when I start the PC the CPU Fan will not work and neither will the fan connected to a System Fan Header. The four lights come on and stay on below the CPU fan header also...

Gigabyte Motherboard? [ 25 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I've been given an old computer. It's missing quite a few parts and I was wondering if you guys could tell me what its missing exactly. Here are some pictures to help. Thanks. http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg39/apologisenow/DSC00065.jpg...

Gigabyte motherboard [ 2 Answers ]

Please tell me the warranty period of gigabyte 8I845GVM-RZ :)

View more questions Search