Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saras2014 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2014, 07:56 AM
    L2 needed document
    I am new to US. I am not getting what are necessary documents needed as L2. Like SSN,Itin etc. Can any one help me what are the things need to be done once I reached US 1st time. I have 6yrs working experience but currently I am not working(1 yrs gap).
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2014, 08:00 AM
    You don't get a SSN until you gain citizenship... so an ITIN is what you will need. For tax purposes it will work the same.

Documents required for L2 visa

• Completed Non-immigration Visa application form DS-156. Separate form for each applicant.
    • Completed form DS-157
    • Application visa fee original receipt issued by HDFC bank.
    • Copy of interview appointment letter which you get at the time of setting appointment with VFS.
    • Valid passport of each applicant.
    • One photograph : 2 and 2 inches square (50 mm square) for each applicant, showing full face, without head covering, against a light background. To be used in the application Form.
    • If the applicant is below 14 yrs of age, Original Birth Certificate of this applicant (child) is required.
    • Your original marriage certificate.
    • Entire wedding photo album.
    • A copy of of each sides marriage invitation card.
    • All 36 pages of the principal applicant's(L1 holder's) passport (if not applying with principal applicant).
    • Copy of spouse's L1 approved petition. Form I-129 (if Form I-797 is a blanket permit, copy of Form I-797 and I-129) of the Principal Applicant, and letter from employer that describes the relationship with the Principal Applicant and the purpose of travel.
    • Spouse's(L1 holder's), employment verification letter.
    • Pay stubs from principal applicant's L1's current place of work.
    • Copy of L1 holders income tax return.
    • Demand draft for visa issuance Fee.

newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jul 2, 2014, 12:02 PM
    Many types of nonimmigrants can work in the U.S. Some need an EAD, and some don't. If your L-2 is as the spouse of someone in L-1 status, then you can work without an EAD. To apply for your SSN, you need to show the I-94 for your L-2 status, and a marriage certificate showing your marriage to someone in L-1 status. If that doesn't work, you can apply for an EAD first (using form I-765), and then get an SSN based on that.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jul 2, 2014, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy
    You don't get a SSN until you gain citizenship
    This is clearly false. You need an SSN to be able to work. Obviously many types of non-citizens can work, e.g. permanent residents, non-citizen nationals, nonimmigrants on H1b work visa and similar visas, F1 students working at school or on OPT, etc.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2014, 12:06 PM
    Let them go and see what they get told......Not everything one finds on teh internet is always true or correct. Even from the websites of the respective agencies.

And many people discover......to their distress.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 3, 2014, 11:16 PM
    To obtain Social Security Number, you don't need to be US citizen or permanent resident but you must be eligible to work in US, for example H, L, J visa holders, are eligible to apply for SSN.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Jul 10, 2014, 01:36 PM
    After entry as an L-2, you can then apply with the USCIS for the EAD, with that you can get your SSN. You can also apply prior to that for you ITIN.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of document needed to apply portuguese passport [ 0 Answers ]

What kind of document needed to apply portuguese passport and how much money will be to make portuguese passport

Legal Document needed but what? [ 1 Answers ]

Purchased a building via hard money lender, when note came due we had a friend purchase the building for us. They hold the mortgage but we make the payment and have an office in the building (its considered residential). We can't get a warranty deed because that would (could) cause the mortgage...

View more questions Search