Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nancymcshanefl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2014, 01:49 PM
    What was the cost basis for AT&T stock in 1969?
    What was the cost basis for AT&T stock in 1969?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 1, 2014, 01:54 PM
    There are websites that have historical stock prices, even for 45 years ago.

If you cannot find one, contact A T & T and ASK!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 1, 2014, 02:11 PM
    This is not an easy one to answer. First, be aware that there are two different companies that have gone by the name "AT&T" over the years, and both have used teh ticker symbol "T." AT&T Corp was the old Bell System, which split up on 1984 into a smaller AT&T Corp plus the Baby Bells, including what became SBC. In 2005 SBC bought out AT&T Corp and renamed the combined company AT&T Inc. So - please be more specific as to which "AT&T" you're interested in. It would be helpful if you could explain just why you need this information - since AT&T Inc didn't exist in 1969 I would guess you want info on AT&T Corp., but since AT&T Corp disappeared in 2005 I don't understand why now you need its cost from 1969. If you originally acquired AT&T Corp stock in 1969 and through all the Bell System split ups and changes of companies you ended up with shares of AT&T Inc., only a small portion of the basis in the original AT&T Corp is applicable, as the majority of the original cost basis ended up in stock of companies such as Alcate/Lucent, Avaya (later taken private), Verizon, and Qwest (now CenturyLink).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate cost basis on foreign stock for non resident? [ 4 Answers ]

I have an interesting situation which I'm hoping one of the experts can help me answer. I have asked three CPA/tax advisers and have received three different answers. So confused I am. Here's the gist of it. My mother, who was not a US resident, passed away in 1990. She left me some stock...

Cost basis for old stock [ 5 Answers ]

My father owned stock in just his name but before he passed away in 1991, he had my mother's name added to his stock as jt tenants with rights of survivorship. I have a copy of the certificate showing it reissued in both their names and it is dated May 1, 1990. Now my mother is in an assisted...

Cost basis of Sale of Stock Rights - Inc. Tax [ 10 Answers ]

Income from Sale of ADR Stock Rights? - Form 1099-B My 2010 Form 1099-B shows Gross Proceeds from the sale of rights for ADR shares. I received these proceeds, as I had not exercised the right to buy more ADRs of the company issuing the extra shares. I opted out of the new purchase of shares, so...

Cost Basis of Avaya Stock received from 1960's AT&T stock [ 2 Answers ]

During the 2nd half of the 1960's, my parents bought AT&T stock and had all dividends reinvested. At some point, there was a spin-off and my parents received Avaya stock. Effective October 26, 2007, Avaya was acquired by Sierra Merger Corp. an entity formed by affiliates of private equity firms...

Wash Sales! What to add to Cost Basis of Replacement Stock [ 3 Answers ]

So far here's what I know about wash sales. If you sell a stock at a loss and buy the same or similar stock within 30 days, its considered a wash sale. The loss you incurred from the sale gets added to the cost basis of the new replacement stock you purchased. This is easy enough if you bought...

View more questions Search