Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rob Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2005, 09:58 AM
    Sound Clips "Freeze" Computer
    Often when I play a sound clip off the web, the computer completely freezes up. I can't be restarted or even shut down properly. I have to manually turn off the power and then it takes extra time to "scan" when I turn it back on again.

This happens at different sites (like Amazon and Tower), and sometimes happens with Real Player, sometimes WMP, sometimes both. However, I doubt there's anything wrong with either those programs or my sound card since, for example, I can play many full length RM videos (with sound) from my C drive, and RM-based internet radio works fine too.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2005, 10:59 AM
    Huh that's a weird one, what os is it, if its 2000 then well :rolleyes:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2005, 12:10 PM
    I have heard of wma files that, once loaded, attempt to access the internet to load a web site. RP/RM usually does not suffer from this, but then again I turn off all the "extras". In fact on my other PC I'm using RealAlternative to play RM files: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Feb 23, 2005, 02:35 PM
    OS=Windows 98
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2005, 07:13 PM
    How much RAM do you have. With Win 98 this doesn't surprise me too much as streaming audio can use lots of resources. The most common cause of freezes with Win 9x is running out of resources.

There is a Resource meter you can run to keep track of your resources. You can find it in System Tools under Accessories.

Mar 2, 2005, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    How much RAM do you have. With Win 98 this doesn't surprise me too much as streaming audio can use lots of resources. The most common cause of freezes with Win 9x is running out of resources.

There is a Resource meter you can run to keep track of your resources. You can find it in System Tools under Accessories.
    64.0 MB RAM

Meter--System: 71% User: 71% GDI: 80%

Mar 2, 2005, 07:37 AM
    Rob,
    Then I'm not surprised. 64M of RAM is nothing by today's standards. Keep an eye on that meter you will see system resurces drop dramtically as you load apps.

I would strongly suggest adding more RAM.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2005, 08:38 AM
    Ram
    Hi,
    I strongly agree with the other expert who suggested increasing your RAM from 64 Meg.
    Maybe go on up to at least 256 Meg. Mine is 512 Meg, and does great.
    I also use Win98/98SE, and would like to offer the following Maintenance Steps for Win98/98SE. None of these steps will give you more RAM, but if you don't already do these steps, it will help your computer run much more smoothly:

Registry Repair should be done whenever there are problems:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

Win98/98SE Regular Maintenance
    All of these should be run whenever Win98/98SE starts giving problems. It will keep the computer running smoothly.

Before doing any of the following; turn off wallpaper and screensavers before re-starting or re-booting the computer.

Safe Mode is best where indicated, because most programs are not running meaning their files are closed, or not in use. This allows them to be scanned much better, repaired, or defragged better.

1. Scandisk
    Start in Safe Mode by:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter
    After it boots to Safe Mode, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and click on Scandisk.
    (It is faster if set on "Standard", the "Thorough" usually is not needed and takes a long, long time).
    Click on "Start" and let it run until finished.

2. Defrag
    When Scandisk is finished, click on "Close".
    Now, go back to the same place, but this time, click on "Defrag".
    Click on OK, and wait until it finishes (might take 1 hour if not done within a month).
    After it finishes, Click on OK or whatever.
    Then, re-boot.

The following Boot Disk has to be done only one time.

Also, a "must have" is a Boot Disk, for Win98/98SE. One never knows when the computer might not load windows and go to the desktop... it does happen.

Here are steps to make one:

Insert the Win98/98SE CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    Go to Start/Programs/Windows Explorer
    Double click on D:/ , if that is your CD-ROM drive letter.
    Find and open the folder; Tools/Mtsutil/Fat32ebd (stands for Emergency Boot Disk)
    Double click on the file Fat32ebd.exe and follow the instructions to create the Boot Disk.
    Then remove the CD from the CD-ROM.

Now, we must test the Boot Disk to see if it works.
    Shut down the computer; then turn it back on with the Boot Disk still in the computer.
    When a screen comes up, use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to select "Boot with CD-ROM support". Then press Enter.
    It will show some things about the computer, and then come up to the A:> prompt.
    Now, insert a CD (any will do) into the CD-ROM.
    Wait until it "spins" and the light goes off.
    Now, at the A:> prompt, type in DIR D:
    It will now look like A:>DIR D:
    It should show all the files on the CD.
    If so, the Boot Disk is good. If NOT, repeat all the above.
    If it's good, then remove the CD, manually turn off the computer, and remove the Boot Disk. Turn on the computer and it's ready to go.

Here are some "tweaks" for Win98/98SE that really work well.

Win98SE Tweaks for better performance
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=170

To extract files: here are steps:
    Extract the following from c/cabs/cab53 and cab54.
    (Right click on a Cab, then left click on View).
    To extract a file then seen, Right click on the file,
    Then Left click on Extract.
    Vcomm.vxd
    Vdmad.vxd
    Configmg.vxd
    Vdd.vxd
    Vmouse.vxd
    Ntkern.vxd
    Vflat.vxd
    Extract to:
    c/windows/system; and also to:
    c/windows/system/vmm32.

Win98SE USB Updates:
    http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

Also, for Win98/98SE; any ONE of the following programs WILL, normally, cause problems:
    1. Microsoft's DirectX 9.0c
    2. Sun Java; any versions, such as j2re 1.4.1 or 1.4.2. (use the Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab, under the heading "Java VM", the only check mark should be by "JIT compiler for virtual machine.....".
    3. Microsoft's Internet Explorer & Outlook Express Cumulative Security Patches from Windows Update.

If you don't already have a Boot Disc, please make one.

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with
    An answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

You also might want to print out the Maintenance Steps for future reference. They are a collection of good stuff over the last couple of years.

Best wishes,
    fredg

Mar 2, 2005, 10:04 AM
    Fred's maintenance tips are great but they will do little if anything to increase system resources. System Resources are 2 finite pools of memory used by Win 9x to store information about the current state of Windows. Things like what windows are open, how big they are, where they are positioned, color schemes, etc. Because these pools are finite, increasing RAM does not increase them. It just helps managing them better.

As for how much to increase your RAM, that depends on your system. You can get a dramatic increase in performance by going from 64 to 128. You get a smaller increase by going from 128 to 256. Anything over 256 is not going to show any perceptible performance gains under Win 9x. However, with the price of RAM today, it might be more cost effective to buy a 256M stick then a smaller one.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2005, 12:15 PM
    Yeah I totally agree, take out that ram stick and go down to your local comp store and use it as reference if you wish and buy a 256 meg stick.

Mar 4, 2005, 03:24 PM
    Thanks all. I'll store the suggestions.

Fred, I recently did a refrag when having problems with virus scan. It took I would guess 12 hours! (I was asleep during much of it)

Scott, I have a Dell laptop from the late nineties. Wondering if it's practical to add memory or just wait and toss the thing for a new one in a few years? For almost everything I do--word, Excel, web-surfing--it works just fine.

Mar 4, 2005, 05:56 PM
    Rob,
    Depending on how old it is, it might not pay to upgrade. Especially a laptop that may need proprietary RAM.

Contact Dell and price an upgrade to see if its worth it.

Do your defrags from Safe Mode. They shouldn't take so long.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2005, 04:57 AM
    Ram
    Hi,
    My statement in my answer, before I gave you the Maintenance Steps said this would not help you with RAM. Another expert said this would not help you with System Resources. With all due respect, that's what I said!

There is something else you could try, but it may not solve your problem. It would help your computer be a little faster. That is to change your Virtual Memory Settings.

How to do it is found in this link I already gave you:
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=170

Again, it will not help you with RAM or as another expert insists on using, the words "System Resources". It all has the same effect; the computer will freeze up if not enough RAM.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Mar 5, 2005, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    My statement in my answer, before I gave you the Maintenance Steps said this would not help you with RAM. Another expert said this would not help you with System Resources. With all due respect, that's what I said!
    Again, it will not help you with RAM or as another expert insists on using, the words "System Resources". It all has the same effect; the computer will freeze up if not enough RAM.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Fred,
    I "insist" on using the phrase "System Resources" because System Resources and RAM are different. You are totally incorrect to use the terms interchangeably. RAM is hardware. It's the amount of physical Random Access Memory installed in a system. System Resources are software created pools of memory that Windows uses to hold information about the current state of the screen and processing.

In your answer with your maintenance tips you did state that none of them would "give more RAM". Of course not, RAM is hardware. The only way to add RAM is to add hardware. But you seem to not understand the concept of System Resources. The fact is, that a Win 9x system with loads of RAM will still freeze up when System Resources get too low, even if there is plenty of free RAM.

I suggest you do some more research about System Resources so that you don't mislead askers by confusing RAM and System Resources in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer "chimes" periodically [ 3 Answers ]

I'm on WinXP - and my computer chimes, with the same sound as if I've received a new email, periodically for no reason. Even when I've only got one program open (that has no sound features). Does anyone know how I can figure out what is causing it? Thank you.

CD Rom & Burner Drives not listed in "My Computer" [ 8 Answers ]

I am hoping you can help me "reset" my drives. A few days ago I could not use my CD Rom drive nor burner as neither would read a CD. I went into the systems folder in the control panel and disconnected both from the device manger. I did this because there was a yellow icon over each drive and...

HELP... Sound Design in "le fabuleux destin d'amelie pulain" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a new member in this forum. As I am studying multimedia, & I have to choose a movie not necesseraly new, & to study the sound design in it, I would like to give me your opinion about the sound in "LE FABULEUX DESTIN D'AMELIE POULAIN" for Jean-Pierre Jeunet. I'll be pleased if someone will...

View more questions Search