Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadhawamdeh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2014, 06:59 PM
    Green card/citizenship
    I'd appreciate an answer from you on this questions.

My brother married an American woman in Jordan in 2010, applied via counselor processing, waited 2 years in Jordan, then had an interview at the US embassy in Jordan upon which he was given a 2 year conditional residency in August 2012.

He moved to the US in August of 2012, and waited another 2 years to apply to remove conditions on his permanent residency status (to get 10 year green card). The USCIS responded that they have made a mistake initially by giving him conditional status when he should have been given permanent status without conditions since the marriage was entered in 2010. So now he is going to get a permanent 10 year green card.

My question is when can he apply to become an American citizen? Based on the fact that he's been married to an American citizen since 2010. But has been living in the US since August of 2012. Can he apply to become an American citizen at this point? Or does he have to wait for another year (to complete 3 years of living in the US?)

Thank you in advance for your time.

Sincerely,
    -Em
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jul 1, 2014, 02:16 AM
    The 3-year rule is: he had to have been a permanent resident for the last 3 years, and he was married to a (the same) U.S. citizen for the last 3 years, and that U.S. citizen was a U.S. citizen for the entire 3 years.

So for him, it's 3 years after he became a permanent resident. He became a permanent resident in August 2012, so 3 years is August 2015. He can file the form 90 days early, or in May 2015.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green card no fault divorce citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has asked me for a divorce a few days ago. He is a US citizen, I am a green card holder. I have lived in the State of Pennsylvania since July 2007. We are not fighting, and we want to make this as simple as possible. His parents are actually my sponsors, since my husband couldn't...

Divorce after green card before citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen who has been married to for 8 years. My husband has his green card. I've discovered he has been cheating on me. He has not become a US citizen yet. How will all this pan out should we divorce? I would like to know what my rights are. Will he be able to obtain equitable...

Green card holder with canadian citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I am 20 year old university student here in canada currently. Last year in may me and my family, we got our green card. My family moved in September but I wasn't able to move with them due to school problem. I wasn't able to transfer to a university there as its very difficult. So I have been...

How long after green card should I apply for citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my green card for 3 1/2 years now ,can I apply now for citizenship.

View more questions Search