Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    setheriault Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2014, 08:59 AM
    When to consult a lawyer as an executor of a will
    If you are the executor of a will and the deceased had more debt than assets, should you consult a lawyer?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2014, 11:10 AM
    About what specifically?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 30, 2014, 06:41 AM
    You will want to go through the formal probate process in order to start the clock on creditors making claims against the estate. If you go through the less formal "voluntary" probate creditors will likely hassle you as executor for years to come. I don't know that you need to consult a lawyer, but it wouldn't hurt if you are unsure about the probate process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to invest money for a good lawyer for my case or average lawyer it is OK? [ 2 Answers ]

I got married 7 months ago and after a few days the immigration police caught me on Over Stay. I went to prison for a few days. After that, my lawyer send my form I-130 after two or three months after they caught me. A few days ago I had my first court and the judge gave me an extension for another...

Company lawyer or personal lawyer for PERM, I140 & I485 [ 3 Answers ]

Company makes it mandatory to go through their contracted attorneys office for PERM application then I have the choice whether to continue with that attorney for I140 & I485 or choose an independent attorney. Either way I'm paying the fees for both the applications. Any pros or cons on this issue...

When to consult a surgeon [ 5 Answers ]

I am having pain in my back under my left rib cage and there is a small lump. 5 yrs ago I consulted my family doctor about it. She felt it and her diagnosis was that it was consitent with the other muscles and did not feel like a tumor or anything serious. I am having pain more often now and...

Executor of will transferring property without lawyer [ 1 Answers ]

As an executor of a will can one use quit claim deeds to execute the will without hiring a lawyer? The only things left in the will to be transferred to other names is some mineral rights and grave plots.

View more questions Search