Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    damonsease Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2014, 10:34 PM
    Free CDL training
    I was convicted of a felony in 2009 in New Jersey. I relocated to Georgia with my family trying to start a new clean life. I want to start driving trucks. I passed my combination and airbrakes test, I just got to go back to the dds to retake my general knowledge test. Is there any schools or companies will pick me up? I'm almost halfway there to receive my permit.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2014, 04:57 AM
    You can use several different Georgia CDL practice tests online for preparation for retaking the general knowledge portion. Some schools will offer payment plans, scholarships, and even help you with a grant if possible. Once you have your CDL in hand, contact different local companies to find out what their requirements are for new hires, and also what probationary training times they might have. A few not many, may reimburse you for your training....worth looking into and asking about.

Also, check out the websites of bigger companies to see if you would qualify for any. At the very least, if you are wanting to drive OTR, you will know what you will need to work towards. For example, some may want at least 6 months or a year of experience. You will also learn, either on their website or by contacting a recruiter, how your passed felony may or may not come into play. Depending on the charge, and length of time, some may not hire you....often due to insurance reasons.

Many companies, local and national, often have a need for drivers as many people try it out and find that the way of life just isn't for them. Although these days you will find many different people driving... far more women solo drivers, couples team driving, and even families on the road. Whether you will be a company driver or owner operator can make a difference... pros and cons to both ways of doing it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 28, 2014, 07:15 AM
    First there is no such thing as free. Someone is paying the schools. Assuming you do not qualify for any government grants ( the school will know) the school programs are only when they pre-place you with a trucking firm, and if for some reason you do not pass or do not work for them, you will owe the money to the school.

Most schools offer some level of payment plan.

Most of the larger better paying companies have tough requirement for new hires, esp ones with no experience.

So do check around, but often local or regional companies that play less, will be where you will have to start.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2014, 08:51 AM
    Unfortunately there is a great misconception the felons, somehow, can get free CDL training. Doesn't happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free cdl training for a felon in orlando fl area [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is Roy and I just had a interstate transfer from NYC to Orlando FL with my parole. I have a non violent d felony (white collar) . I'm looking for a company or school that would sponsor me with my cdl so that I can begin a new career and a better future. My probation officer support my...

Looking for free cdl training [ 5 Answers ]

I have a class b cdl, with a ten year work history OTR, but was injured two and a half years ago, and have been unemployed, I now have a green light from my doctor to work again, is there a free class A CDL training academy that will accept me? I was rejected by Stevens Transport Academy for being...

Where can I get free cdl training with a felony 5 years old? [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I find free cdl training with a felony 5 years old?

Is there free cdl training for felons? [ 6 Answers ]

Just a quick question.

Cdl a free training with decent pay [ 2 Answers ]

Just a quick question.

View more questions Search