Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nottheonlycluelesstexan Posts: 22, Reputation: 15

Apr 5, 2007, 11:34 AM
    What's the punishment?
    Hi,
    I live in Texas and my husband was arrested this past Monday. He had 3 unpaid traffic tickets (speeding, ran a red light, and failure to maintain financial responsibility.. this last will go away when he can show proof he was insure just didn't have the card) and he also received a ticket for possession of drug paraphernalia with marijuana < 2oz. I bailed him out and his court date is set for April 18. My biggest worry is that since he is from England and still has conditional restrictions (we have to stay married for 2 years) on his green card, is there a strong possibility he will get deported because of the drugs? If not, what is a realistic punishment he would likely receive? Since I have no clue about these things and we need one pretty quickly, how do I find a good attorney?. There are a million in the phone book that promise everything but how can I know who could REALLY help and who is as clueless as I am? :confused:

He has no previous criminal record, a good driving record until these past tickets, and has a good job. Can we even HOPE for just a slap on the wrist?
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 5, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Wow-all I can say is I hope you have A lot of cash. Hopefully a good attorney can help--try asking friends, family, co workers, anyone for a good "word of mouth" recommendation for a lawyer. Surely someone has a brother, cousin, etc to help. I'll say a prayer for you! I'm in East Texas, where are you at?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 11:52 AM
    I don't think he would get deported, a green card means he was accepted as a permanent resident and can apply to be a citizen after a few years.

He should be treated the same in the legal system as any other citizen, although you said there are some restrictions on the green card, if its revokable (sp?) based on a criminal convicton then he might have problems. Yes, get recommendations from anyone on a good lawyer, maybe they can plead it down so its not as bad.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Hello not:

ANY conviction could result in deportation. Call a few lawyers on the phone and see if you can establish some sort of rapport. Ask friends if they know of any attorney's. Lastly, if you can't find a referral, ask Jeffery Steinborn. You can find him at potbust.com.

excon
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 5, 2007, 03:39 PM
    What I did years ago when I was busted ,was ask the cop that busted me what lawyer he would get if he was in my shoes -- the one he recommended was good.
    When it comes to pot most cops think it's a waste of time -- but it's the LAW. Savage
    kazaniba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Ask around to friends and family. Usually there is a couple of really good lawyers in town, but you have to be willing to pay big $$.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2007, 08:47 AM
    I doubt he will be deported and doubt if anything seroius happens if he appears in court on the tickets and just pays them, as for the pot charge
    It was a small amount most likey fine and probatoin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's his and what's mine. [ 13 Answers ]

I have been a stay at home mom for 4 1\2 years, and I just reciently started a new career. I am seriously thinking about leaving my husband. We have three kids, a house, a car, and other debts. I am not spitefull, or mean, and I'm not a babymama drama kind of person. How do you go about what is...

Capital punishment [ 32 Answers ]

Is execution of murderers a deterrent to crime

The right punishment [ 7 Answers ]

My friend's daughter started a web-site on Xanga and put quote's about suicide, that she got off a suicide web page, into her profile. I think that this is a big red flag but he believed her when she told him it was her friend's idea. He had previously told her not to ever start a web site on...

What's going on? [ 2 Answers ]

I had my period last week it lasted about a week then two days later I started to bleed again but it was light pink and lasted a couple of days. If anyone knows what that was all about please tell me. Thanks.

View more questions Search