Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grnfeet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2014, 08:45 AM
    Does code allow you to splice wires in an LB?
    Industrial wiring
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 26, 2014, 04:09 PM
    I haven't looked it up in the 2014 code, but it used to be you could splice in an LB ( condulet) on strict guidelines. The first thing is the LB has to have a cubic inch value stamped on it somewhere. Then using the guidelines for box fill per conductor, you could splice if the cubic inch value of the LB was sufficient to handle the wires. If you have wire that requires 2.5 cubic inch per wire and you splice 2 wires in to 2 wires out, you would need an LB of 10 cubic inches or more. That's providing you don't have other wires in the LB that you aren't splicing. Typical places I have seen condulets used is for connecting small valves etc. that don't have junction boxes as part of the valve. Splicing large wires in an LB probably violates code for other reasons and is not good practice even if it were.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2014, 01:19 PM
    The only other comment I have and I just read this in a Residential Wiring manual, not the actual code, was an additional remark "where permitted" pertaining to splices in an LB.
    If in doubt, check with your inspector.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Code compliant to compression splice aluminum feeder to copper feeder [ 15 Answers ]

Is it code compliant to compression splice aluminum feeder to copper feeder

Three white wires & three black wires to dimmer switch with 2 black wires - Help! [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a new dimmer switch and when I removed the old on/off switch, I found 3 white cables all tied together and 3 black cables. I know that the cables also connected to the light switch in the guest room. I just don't know what to do with my 2 black wires from my new dimmer switch, and...

Nec code for stapling wires from box [ 2 Answers ]

What is the code for stapling a wire after you staple from the electrical box

How do I splice the wires in the attic to put a light and a plug socket in the attic [ 3 Answers ]

How do I splice wires in the attic to install a plug socket

Can I Splice Cut 110V Wires? [ 4 Answers ]

My contractor cut through one of my master bedroom 110V wires that runs the bedroom plug outlets. He actually cut it in 2 different places. He wants to install a "circuit box" to rewire this damage. I hate to see a box in this high visibility area and wonder why I cannot simply add a piece of wire...

View more questions Search