Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Confuzzeded Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2014, 04:53 AM
    Is it legal to base a salaried employee to hourly on a 45 hr work week instead of 40?
    My company brought me in as salaried with expectations of a 45 hour week EXCEPT during training, where I was hourly and was told I could NOT work overtime. When I received my paycheck, the salary was based on a 45 hour week, hence in my case, I was missing about $3/hr... is this legal?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 26, 2014, 05:26 AM
    You aren't clear on what you were told. If your salary is to be 950/wk, that's 40 hrs @ 20 and 5 hrs @ 30. If you are working 37.5 hours during training, your gross would be 37.5 x 20 = 750. Divide that by 45 (payroll semantics), you appear to be getting 16.+/ hr.
    Is that an example of what's happening?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2014, 05:14 PM
    "When I received my paycheck, the salary was based on a 45 hour week". Not exactly sure of your question as to what pay was for-45 hrs? It is not illegal to base your salary on a 45 hour work week, they told you up front it would be. Does your company consider you exempt or non exempt?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2014, 07:10 PM
    Salary is not really "based" on anything, if you are salary, they may work you as many hours as they wish. 45 may be the average hours they will expect you to work.

So if you are salary, that is just it, your salary, and you are paid that amount each week, regardless of how many hours you work. Most salary employees in America work 50 or even 60 hours or more a week.

During the training, you should have set an agreed to hourly rate. It is often less than your salary when you begin full time work after training.

If you did not agree on a set hourly fee, for your training, then it is fair for them to pay you, the normal training rate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal for a salaried employee to work 40 hour work weeks for 2 months and recei [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a bible college who have asked all their salaried employees to work for half pay for 2 months because of a budget crisis is that legal

Salaried employee being paid hourly [ 1 Answers ]

When I was hired, I was told that I would be paid salary. 90 days into my job the topic came up again and my company realized that they have been paying me hourly all along. Instead of fixing the mistake the kept treating me like an hourly employee and even though I asked them to pay me like all...

Hourly rate of a salaried employee [ 2 Answers ]

I am needing to figure out an employee's hourly rate by taking his total income from last year, and divide or multiply it by 52 and times or divide by 12... HELP I can't figure out the math... :eek:

View more questions Search