Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovetoclimb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2014, 06:44 AM
    How to detect a bad gaseous smell in home that comes and goes
    Have a bad gaseous smell in home that comes and goes. Built home 12 years ago. Have oil and propane gas. Have had propane checked and did find 1 small leak but smell continues. Have had fire department out to test for gas, no detection.
    Have central ac, basement, septic.
    Have had plumber check drains. Does not smell like septic but a gas .
    People walk in to home and say they smell gas.
    It is usually contained to part of home that is above the room that holds the furnace but will drift up to second floor.
    In basement I do have pipes in walls that are empty, put in if we needed to add more underground wires. They are covered.
    Basement has flooded in the past but it is not a musty smell.
    Craftymoods21 Posts: 15, Reputation: 4

Jun 25, 2014, 06:35 PM
    Are there any other issues/concerns in your home? Anything you can think of whether inside or outside? Some things could be related; I am only asking in order to get a bigger and clearer picture. Thanks
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 25, 2014, 10:03 PM
    If you run your propane tank too low, you can get an odor. I had it happen once years ago. The propane people came and checked it out and said it was common and weren't too concerned about the odor under the my circumstances, but I did have them add propane and the odor went away. This is a possibility where you may not be using the propane and let it run out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gaseous Smell in the bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I was cleaning the bathroom and poured bleach down the toilet. I left it for about half and hour and when I flushed the toilet all the water drained away from the bowl and it made a gurgling noise - now the bathroom has got this dreadful gaseous smell! The toilet is working now as it should but...

Bad sewer gas smell from all vents in home! [ 1 Answers ]

We have ac guy and plumber out and they have no clue. What's odd is we had a clog and they ran water with pulsating water attachment into an outside plug. When the water is running threw it, it smells like fresh water coming out of our ceiling vents. But within the day after the water has been...

Bad smell in home when it rains [ 4 Answers ]

We have been getting a foul smell in a downstairs front room whenever it rains for about 8 weeks. The local Council first told us it was a dead rodent trapped in a wall cavity and that it would go away after 3 weeks when the rat had decomposed. It has gone on too long for it to be this now. We...

Real bad smell in are manufacturer home! [ 0 Answers ]

We just moved into a only 16 year old house witch now 3 days we have had a real bad odor in the washroom and right as you walk in front door? We have found a mold problem on are roof witch is being fixed the smell dose not smell like mold its almost like a dead animal, it's a all one floor house...

How to get rid of bad smell from AC vent in home? [ 3 Answers ]

I am having a problem with diagnosing a very distinct smell from one of the AC vent located in the living room of a home. When the AC is turned on, after 5 minutes, a smell like from the horse staple comes through only one (1) of the AC vent in the house. I hired a AC guy to come out to check on...

View more questions Search