Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 24, 2014, 07:05 PM
    Spider ID
    Ok, so I know I am supposed to be an entomology expert here and really, for the most part, I can identify most spiders and the ones I can't, I can usually find them online. So Last week I was going into my basement (which really is only a 10x10 room with a dirt floor and plenty of moisture) and I discovered this spider on the door. As I went down the steps, there were 2 more around the door frame in their webs spread about a foot apart from each other.

I have tried to ID them and am just not having any luck doing so. By eye, they appear to be the same shape and have the overall look of Black Widow males but I believe they are too large for that and it isn't like Widows are overly common around here in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Leg to leg they were 1 to 1 1/2 inches stretched out. Obviously they like it damp and dark.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images

Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 24, 2014, 07:12 PM
    A parsons spider?

Now I'm going to have nightmares all night after looking at pages and pages of spiders.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2014, 07:32 PM
    Remind me if I am ever in your neck of the wooks... to stay away from your basement.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 24, 2014, 07:39 PM
    odinn's planning a Halloween party for all of his AMHD friends. The party will be in his basement.
    Entomology Expert

Jun 24, 2014, 08:24 PM
    Actually, the party will be in the garage. I have better spiders out there...nice big Wolf Spiders all over.

Not a Parson Spider...Body color and shape is wrong and the legs are too thick on the Parson compared to the 3 I have here.

It looks almost like an Argiope but the coloring and where it has chosen to live are wrong.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 25, 2014, 01:42 PM
    Looks like a fine healthy Northern Widow family

Latrodectus variolus.

Name:  noethern widow.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  12.9 KB
    Entomology Expert

Jun 25, 2014, 02:37 PM
    You think so Cats? After you pointed that out, I looked at pictures and it does look like a possibility. The problem with identifying spiders is that there are so many variations and something as simple as how well fed they are can change their shape enough to throw me off a little. With the Northern Widow, the legs, the general shape of the cephalothorax, the coloring of some that I just saw online all seem to match pretty well so I guess it could be.

Just don't tell my wife we have them in the basement....she'll be demanding that I kill them off.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 25, 2014, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    Just don't tell my wife we have them in the basement....she'll be demanding that I kill them off.
    Let's see, Odin's wife... Do we have a Freya on the site?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What spider is this? [ 1 Answers ]

Can't seem to add a photo but it's a very small spider, the abdomen is a dark chocolate colour (abdomen is about 2mm) with white patches/spots on the abdomen & the legs are long & spindly & rusty brown in colour. It has 2 little prong-like antennae which is also a rusty brown colour. It attacks &...

What Spider is this? [ 42 Answers ]

We got dorect beside our door a spider. We do not want to kill it, but woul dlike what kind of spider this is. Is it poisonous or harmless? Thank you

10 legged black spider not a camel spider [ 5 Answers ]

I came across this thing on my side walk it moves slowly is about an inch in length I've never seen a 10 legged spider so I took pictures and tried looking it up with no luck, it is not a camel spider I know that for sure. Also you can see from the pictures I'm not mistaking the 2 extra legs for...

What spider is this? [ 3 Answers ]

Stpped right in front of me wihle cooking... can't seem to figue out what kind it is... anyone know///? http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4108/dscn7292sg6.jpg

What Spider was that? [ 1 Answers ]

I saw this unusual spider in the bathroom this morning but I can't find a picture of it anywhere on the internet It was very dark brown almost black, with a front leg and small stripe at the front which was light brown/copper coloured. It was about 1-2cm big. I couldn't see it that clearly as I...

View more questions Search