Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helloworld360 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2014, 02:27 PM
    HIPAA and employee rights
    If I call and left a message for my supervisor telling them why I was in the hospital and they told other people I work with is that a hippa violation?
    helloworld360 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2014, 02:34 PM
    I wanted to add a bit. I gave specifics and so did they. I work for a call center and have FMLA. I was in the hospital and left a message and they blurted everything to the rest of my department. I had sent an email a couple hours later telling them not to say anything because people are nosy but the damage was already done. Anything I can do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 24, 2014, 02:46 PM
    No this is not a HIPAA violation. You volunteered the information. They are not your medical provider and are not covered by HIPAA. It may have been a breach of ethics and not good practice, but it has nothing to do with HIPAA.

Your only recourse is to talk to your HR department and lodge a complaint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employee rights under HIPAA [ 0 Answers ]

I'm an RN, and it's "flu season" once again. I have refused the vaccine and in one day of being forced to wear the mask, I have been repeatedly grilled by staff, ranging from CNAs, janitor, up to management, on why I haven't received the vaccine. I have very good reasons, to include currently...

HIPAA Violation & Rights of an employee [ 2 Answers ]

I recently was terminated from a job after I filed a complaint to HR regarding my supervisors actions. After giving birth to my son and a year of followed ups & downs including a divorce, I suffered from complicated migraines, anxiety attacks and a mild case of depression. Through this time and to...

HIPAA violation for employee [ 3 Answers ]

I have medical billing employees who often have their school aged children in their areas awaiting pick up by another family member. Is this a HIPAA violation?

Is it a HIPAA violation to talk about another employee? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it a violation for a supervisor to tell other employees why another employee is being investigated

Employee hipaa rights violated when personal work history and records lost? [ 3 Answers ]

I have worked at my company (hospital) for 7 years. I left for 9 months then came back and when I came back to work the HR department had to decide how much to pay me based off my years of experience as a nurse. When it came time to give me my salary they said they have no record of me ever...

View more questions Search