Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tundra_desert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2014, 06:37 PM
    1 Switch, 2 Lights - Replace 1 Light with Ceiling Fan?
    I have 2 single bulb fixtures in my garage that are controlled by 1 switch. I'd like to replace 1 of the lights with a ceiling fan. The single bulb fixture closest to the switch has 2 black wires and 2 white wires screwed in. The fixture furthest from the switch has a single black wire and a single white wire connected. I don't see any green/bare/ground wires in the ceiling.

I installed a ceiling fan (no light kit) into the ceiling box furthest away from the switch. The fan turns on/off via the switch; however, now the light closest to switch isn't working.

I assume the garage isn't wired properly to permit operation of both the fan and the single light. Can anyone provide guidance?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2014, 05:55 AM
    What you did seems reasonable to me. If all you did was remove the light and replace it with the fan it should work.

Make sure the other bulb didn't just coincidentally burn out during the fan installation. If it's okay, double-check the wiring in the other box to see if a wire came loose when you were inspecting it.

That's all I've got.

Good luck,
    WallyH
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2014, 10:21 AM
    Agree. If the fixture was pigtailed, one of the wires could be disconnected but the through wires would work. Also, as Wally says, switch out a bulb. Did you use a fan rated box?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace pull chain for lights on ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

The chain for turning off and on the lights was pulled out of our ceiling fan. How do I fix this?

Separate Fan light switch, fan switch and switch for can lights to one location [ 2 Answers ]

I have A circuit that has 6 can lights and a fan light. The power is at the switch box I need to know how to wire the separate switches for the cans,and the light on the fan, and fan (That would be in a three gang switch box.) to one location.

Trying to wire ceiling fan switch and 2-3way light switches for ceiling lht/fan combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have 1 single pole switch for fan, and 2 three way switches to run light only. The power in is by the double box that will house the fan switch and the #1 light 3way. The other box houses the other three way switch. My fan switch is turning the light on and off, the three ways are doing nothing....

Replace Ceiling fan/light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a ceiling fan/light switch. The switch I purchased is a Harbour Breeze universal switch. The wall has three wires. Two blacks and a red. The old switch has a black wire (connected to one black wire in the wall), a red wire (connected to the red wire in the wall) and a...

Replace or Fix Our Ceiling Fan with Lights? [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into our condo a little over a year ago. There is a large, 60" Hampton Bay St. Regis ceiling fan with an upper set of lights and lower set of lights in our living room. When trying to replace the lower bulb, we accidentally installed the wrong wattage bulb (100 watt halogen instead of a...

View more questions Search