Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmesser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2014, 05:29 PM
    If we increase the volume for a gravity fed water system, will it increase the press
    We have a gravity feed for water for a camp. It's a 300 gal water tank about 30' above the camp. It seems to be enough to trigger the propane hot water heater intermittently but not consistently. If we increase the pipe size from the water tank, will it be enough to trigger the hot water heater consistently (it's a Morey low pressure hot water heater). There's no electricity at the camp. There is a generator but we're trying to avoid using it for hot water.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2014, 06:09 PM
    Increasing pipe size will not increase pressure. Volume yes, but not pressure. If the tank is 30 feet above the house, then you will have around 12 or 13 pounds of pressure.

I looked around a little and came up empty, but I'd try and see if I could find a gas powered booster pump of some sort to get your pressure up. Either that, or an electric pump to use with your generator for short periods to take showers.
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 22, 2014, 06:19 PM
    I am going to try to show you a simple test first- This won't cost you anything to try!

1)restriction on output side of water heater could cause an issue.
    If you have a valve on the exit side of the water heater close to it-hopefully a few feet- just open it and let it free flow. See if this will consistently trigger the start of the water heater. The reason I am having you do this first, is because the restriction on the output of the water heater can be as much a problem as the pipe coming into the water heater. It may be even that the cabins closest to the water heater will trigger it and those further away might not, or might not all of the time. If you can open the valve and get the water heater to turn on every time, it suggests that the lines going away from it are too small and restricting the amount of water that gets through the heater. Hopefully this won't be the case. (unless you are starving the water heater and that brings up the next scenario)

2)Too much water usage elsewhere in the system is robbing the water supply to the heater.
    There is a possibility that something else may be running at the same time and starving the water heater of water. If this is the case then a larger pipe to the camp or water heater should help.

If this is going to be a major expense I would do some testing first. If it is going to be easy and a low budget item, then a larger pipe from the tank to the water heater certainly won't hurt anything and may give just enough extra to trigger the water heater and provide some buffer in case of other issues. That being said, flow(which is gallons per minute or whatever unit you use)is what triggers the heater. More pressure will give you more flow, but putting in a larger pipe will not give you more pressure, but more flow at close to the same pressure.

If I confused you let me know and we will take it one step at a time. I gave you a lot to swallow in one gulp. Kindly get back to us. There are some really good pump guys on this site and one of us will get you headed the right direction. Your input is all we have to base our recommendations on, so we like to cover the basics first if we can.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2014, 07:21 PM
    There is a possibility that something else may be running at the same time and starving the water heater of water. If this is the case then a larger pipe to the camp or water heater should help.
    That is true. You would certainly know if that is the case. I am assuming it is not, since you did not mention it. I'm not familiar with the propane hotwater heaters. However, 12# of pressure is pretty lame and I don't think you will be satisfied with it, so I would look for some sort of solution long-term.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2014, 07:01 AM
    At the present time you have a little over 13 pounds of pressure. If you Google "Battery operated water pumps" you will come up with a selection that you can use to increase pressure, This must be installed like a well installation with a check valve on the tank and a bladder tank to maintain pressure. I know of only one more way to increase your pressure and that would be to elevate the water tank. For each foot of elevation you will gain a little under a half pound of pressure. Can you raise the tank? Let me know. In my estimation your best option would be the pump that runs off a 12 volt car battery. Back to you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to increase water volume in house [ 1 Answers ]

I have a one story 1952 ranch home that sits on a slope 125 feet from a 3/4 inch county water meter also I had a 3/4 inch copper water line. The house sits on a hill about 40 feet above the county meter and is approximately 90 feet long and 45 feet deep. The house has 2 water heaters, one on each...

Can I increase water volume without running a new water line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I live about 800 feet from the water meeter and when they ran the line to my house they ran a 1" pvc. I live on a down hill slope and I have 65psi at the house hose bibs. I can get it up to 110psi if I adjust the pressure valve and get super pressure but still drops considerably when two...

How to increase water pressure and volume? [ 2 Answers ]

Our house is located on a hill approximately 150 feet above the elevation of the water main. The water pressure seems fine most of the time. But at times, our water pressure is too low. If someone is taking a shower and the washer is running, it takes forever to fill up the washer and the water...

Radiators work Fine but no hot water gravity fed system [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I have an oil fired boiler and it has one pumped feed for the radiators and a gravity fed system for the hot water. I drained the system down and refilled it radiators work fine but no hot water. I have tried releasing the pipes on the Hot tank heat exchanger to release any trapped air...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search